What Music Are You Listening To?

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
A weird question occurred to me which I've never given much thought to before:

Assuming people are not "tone deaf" (which is extremely rare), I would have thought most of us appreciated music in the same way. We all have likes and dislikes, for sure, but do those of you who are musician yourselves find that you appreciate a wider range of music?

Sorry if this sound obvious, but I do wonder to what extent playing an instrument influences our appreciation and choices.

Because in this mad Catalan weather this year I am sleeping under the stars alot to avoid downtown temps and humidity and you get a better class of night-time starscape......

Assuming people are not "tone deaf" (which is extremely rare), I would have thought most of us appreciated music in the same way. We all have likes and dislikes, for sure, but do those of you who are musician yourselves find that you appreciate a wider range of music?

Sorry if this sound obvious, but I do wonder to what extent playing an instrument influences our appreciation and choices.
I'm not sure it is connected, but it has made me think; whilst I wouldn't call myself a musician as such, I did learn how to play the piano (grade 3) and I do tend to like music that is piano based.

I would not call myself a musician, although I do play the Guitar and Mandolin badly. I find myself constantly bored with my music collection, which is massive, but always yearn for something new. Every so often I will take off down an alley and find some absolute gems (and some absolute stinkers). That is why I love these threads. Every so often someone will put something new and random that will grab me. I love Jungle, Minimalist Techno, Psycobilly and Country music, I also love Country Rock, Experimental any anything weird and Avant Garde......

I find myself constantly bored with my music collection, which is massive,
When you say massive, how massive?
Just interested to know if it's bigger than my collection.

When you say massive, how massive?
Just interested to know if it's bigger than my collection.
A rough estimate of 3600 Cds. Honestly, its actually retarded. I spent a week trying to find Mike Harding and The Brown Ale Cowboys last year. I am in the process of digitising it at the moment. Way easier to find things! Hahaha.

Edited to add: Of course, I am not allowed to have them out any more. Mrs Morsk says something about "bedrooms" and "children" and "gobshite" (oddly enough) hence digitising it!

Last edited:
A rough estimate of 3600 Cds. Honestly, its actually retarded. I spent a week trying to find Mike Harding and The Brown Ale Cowboys last year. I am in the process of digitising it at the moment. Way easier to find things! Hahaha.

Edited to add: Of course, I am not allowed to have them out any more. Mrs Morsk says something about "bedrooms" and "children" and "gobshite" (oddly enough) hence digitising it!
Quite a collection, though a way to go to catch me.
Why have you not joined the vinyl addicts group? Or is vinyl not your thing.
digitising is as you say handy for finding things (I have Mike Harding's Captain Paralytic and the Brown Ale Cowboy too) but don't stop collecting hard copies as digital copies are just not the same Mukker.