What motivates soldiers to risk their lives in in combat?

Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by c2b, Sep 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. c2b

Hi everyone, I'm currently undertaking a research project into motivation and I'm particularly interested in the factors that encourage soldiers to risk their lives in combat. As an ex-serviceman myself I've been able to identify some of the main factors through personal experience and interviews, but I'm now looking for wider input.

If you are currently serving or have served in the Army, at any rank (and with any country), I'd be very grateful if you would take just 2 minutes to answer a couple of questions. For the time being I'm interested only in the Army; once I've completed this stage of the research I'll be testing the results for consistency in the other services so please only visit the survey now if your experience relates to service with the Army.

The survey can be found at http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/6JLPJXG

The survey is completely anonymous and will only take 2 minutes to complete.

Please also forward the link to anyone you know who may have an opinion on this subject; I'm looking for input from as many people as possible.

Thanks for your help,

• Like Like x 1
  2. If they didnt the opposition would overrun their position and they would get killed
    • Like Like x 4
  3. c2b

Well there is that but I'm really interested in why they're there in the first place...
  4. I have spoken to my wife about this as we served on opposite sides of the iron curtain. (The wicked witch is Romanian.)

Her answer is that she was conscripted and had to serve as part of the deal on getting a free university education.

My answer is that it beats working for a living.

Edited to add.
    My father's answer was, because the krauts invaded Poland.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Serious answers only folks. If you've got nothing relevant to say then move on to the NAAFI.
  6. link doesn't work 😞
  7. If our input is of any help would there be anychance of you posting the findings/conculsions of your reseach project on here when it is completed?

Only fair after all.
  8. As I said a big shouty bloke has a lot to do with it. Call it good leadership or whatever but the skill of giving commands well and knowing they are right really is a strong instant motivator when you head is saying stay there its safer. And survey done
  9. Discipline, unit cohesion, mates, morale and self belief.
  10. The lack of well paid civilian employment for dense infantry types may also be a key factor.
    • Like Like x 5
  11. You'll be thick as a whale to think the Infantry are dense. There's probably more Graduates serving as Toms in the Infantry than anywhere else in the Army (or Marines).
  12. There's the first one.................
  13. Back peddling
  14. You little minx!
  15. No.