What month was the Royal Hampshires reconstituted?

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by gauis, Jan 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What month was the Royal Hampshires reconstituted in 1972 and alongside the Argyll's what other regiments where reconstituted that year.
  2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

3RGJ if I recall from a company cadre!
  3. R (Representative) Company 3 RGJ - went into action in Belfast in the Battle of Leeson Street
  4. Gauis,

Wait out on this I will look it up in the regimental history when I get home tonight.
  5. March 1972 - I was in Londonderry with the RWF at the time and a number of our NCOs transferred. Four batallions were reinstated, one other was the 2nd Scots Guards.
  6. 4th Bn The Queen's was reduced to a Company and then scrapped at about that time.
  7. Best thing for it!
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

4LI was disbanded in early 69 to ensure the other 3 Bns were up to strength, a realpity as we could have kept all the geordies in one place!
  9. In theory - Yes! But, sadly the company arrived in the shiney 1st Bn lock stock & barrel, and then formed a rather unhealthy 57th mafia of lower-orders which continued until the '90s.
  10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Were they absorbed into other companies or kept as a seperate in all but name unit for years?
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Odd that amalgamating the Hamps with the Queens brought together two regiments from seperate divisions, Queens and PoW. This meant that inter regtl transfers for tours and ops and also for senior ranks left some people cut off fron home? Not seen again until RGBW & D&D were lightened! I suppose that the Light Div will ceasee to exist and just become Rifles RHQ?
  12. When we were told we were being amalgamated with the R Hamps we could not work it out. Surely the natural amalgamation for the R Hamps was with the D&Ds - even the local bus company was called the Hampshire & Dorset Bus Company!
  13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Hamsters do live next door to Sussex, but there is obviously a lot more than Sussex involved in the Queens. Sad to see the old names go as they did with such ingracious haste. At least there was a decent wake for the old regts at the rebadging ceremony and if you missed that the new colours would be along within 5 years. I wonder if the RGBW got a new set. Just in time to forget about marching behind anything!
  14. Minden Company returned to the UK from Gibraltar at the end of Jan 72. "In fact, it had technically ceased to exist on the 15th of that month, the date that the 1st Battalion The Royal Hampshire Regiment was officially re-formed."

Perret, B. (1997): The Hampshire Tigers: The Story of the Royal Hampshire Regiment 1945 - 1992, page 247.

Wth regards to whom The Royal Hampshire Regiment should have amalgamated with:

Meetings were held by the Colonels of the Prince of Wales's Division. On the basis of geograpghy POW Div agreed that if amalgamations were required between four former Regiments of the Wessex Brigade, The GLOSTERS would amalgamate with the DERR and the D AND D would amalgamate with the R HAMPS."

For R HAMPS an amalgamation with either neighbouring Regiments, the D and D and DERR was also included as an option.

This submission also included the caveat that the R HAMPS were NOT inclined to amalgamate with the QUEENS. For the QUEENS with its traditions of a large multi-county regiment were in so contrast with those of a tightly-knit single battalion county regiment with the closest of county ties. (Source: As above page 406.) However, as we all know this was ignored and an amalgamation with the QUEENS to place in 1992 resulting in the PWRR.