What might my options be?

Not sure if this is in the right area but here goes...

I wondered if anybody could give me some advice on what my options are in my current position. I'm 16 years old and have recently started sixth form, after getting fairly decent GCSE results but after one term I have no intention of staying there at all, firstly because it was my original intention to try and join at 16 as I've wanted to join the forces for sometime, but also because I think I can really achieve something and benefit more form joining at an early age career wise, rather than doing two years of sixth form and getting my A levels and not really enjoying myself. The only thing that really stopped me in terms if joining at 16 was largely the fact that my mother detests the idea of me joining the forces, and were both as stubborn as each other so I can't see us ever agreeing on anything. However my dad and the rest of my family and friends are supportive of the idea and think I should go for it!

However basically what I'm uncertain about is wether it would be better to bite the bullet and carry on with my A levels or to go for it and push for joining? Would having a levels open up more opportunities to me in the army or would it make no difference? And if so what are they? Also if I decided to join when would be the best point?

Sorry for the load of questions but I'm in two minds about the whole thing

Also of it makes any difference for my A levels I'm taking there:
Public services level 3
English literature/language
And I'm re taking my maths

Cheers Stan

Stan, its always going to be difficult if one of your parents is opposed to your joining. Do you live with both of them or are they seperated? If it was my decision I would stay and do your A levels :wink:

A-levels are not only worth having, but so also is the experience of spending a couple of years within a relaxed college environment, helping your personal development and giving you time to look at other options in life.

Thanks for the advice, they are still together yes, haha I'm her only son as well which doesn't help the cause. I can see why it would be sensible to stay and get my A levels but I just wanted to make sure That I know what my options if you get me.

Stay and get your A levels....These alone will get you far more options when joining the forces ( two years of your life could pave the way for the rest of your life )

Bite the bullet and stay on for 2 years. Not only will you open up greater career paths, you will also have a greater determination to join the army due to the 2 year wait. I was pretty much in the same boat except I've waited 4 years lol

Mr Happy

LE
Do your A levels, strive for a degree. Join the Navy as an officer. You'll never have to do a shred of work again.

haloman

Old-Salt
RSR, I've had the kind of life that a lot of people would die (excuse the pun!) for, but my one regret is that I never had any real academic qualifications. I was an Army brat and went to more schools than I care to think about, most of them indifferent.
I am now 73 years old and still regret it.
My advice is - get all the academic qualifications you can and then decide. One of my contemporaries got an honours degree before signing up as a trooper and ended up commanding an Army Air Corps regiment.
The Armed Forces aren't going anywhere so there's no need to rush. Talk it through with a Recruiting Office. They will tell you the same thing.
The best of luck.

ironr4tions

Old-Salt
RSR, I've had the kind of life that a lot of people would die (excuse the pun!) for, but my one regret is that I never had any real academic qualifications. I was an Army brat and went to more schools than I care to think about, most of them indifferent.
I am now 73 years old and still regret it.
My advice is - get all the academic qualifications you can and then decide. One of my contemporaries got an honours degree before signing up as a trooper and ended up commanding an Army Air Corps regiment.
The Armed Forces aren't going anywhere so there's no need to rush. Talk it through with a Recruiting Office. They will tell you the same thing.
The best of luck.
What he said!

Seriously, I joined at 16 with only a few buckshee GCSEs and I've had to work my arse off to get them while I've been in. I wish I'd stayed on at school and my career in the army wouldn't really be any different. Up until you are 18 it's all just busy work.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Many thanks for all the replies, it definitely seems clear that staying In Education is my best route and certainly sounds like it opens up a lot of opportunities that I hadn't even considered!

Latest Threads