What medals are these?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by supermark500, May 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just seen this picture at work on the front of a CD by this Welsh bloke Cayo Evans, and it looks likes he's sporting a VC. I checked him out on Wikipedia and he's had some military service but hasn't won one of those. Is he walting it up? What's the other medal he's wearing?
    [​IMG]

2. No doubt you found this
    'Cayo was conscripted into the British Army aged 18, and served actively in Malaya. This experience coupled with a fascination with politics inspired by a Polish man who taught him at Millfield, embittered him towards the British Government and their manhandling of Wales.

This ultimately led to his involvement in and the formation of 'The Free Wales Army', with Cayo speaking out at its head, wearing uniforms and publicly showing a body of resistance in Wales. With other groups, they were active for a short period in the 1960's, with a campaign that shook Britain.

Someone had to be made an example of...

After a lengthy trial in 1969 just prior to the investiture of Prince Charles, Cayo was jailed for thirteen months with two other members, Dennis Coslett and Gethyn Ap Iestyn. Imprisoned for trumped up public order offenses, they suffered cruel & degrading treatment as category A political prisoners, and were confined in solitary at length. '

I'm guessing the 'medals' are connected with his political activities and not with his service with the British Army

3. Is that William Cayo-Evans, noted Welsh terror Walt?

If so, he's probably sporting some of these invented awards

Complete Loony: think Legion of Frontiersman crossed with the Welsh IRA equivalent. 8O

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Wales_Army

4. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

It takes a big man to manhandle whales ... :lol:

Slightly more seriously, if he really wants to establish credibility, I suggest he gets his hair cut and stops poncing around wearing joke insignia. An adult political agenda might serve his purposes better ...

... as would avoiding people whose names are spelled as though somebody just leaned on the keyboard :wink:

5. YesItsMe

YesItsMe LE Good Egg (charities)

i'm not that much into the subject - but they look to me like old german medals

if you'd like to check out this - though i can't explain in this context

6. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Ah The I hate everything British but I'll wear your medals malarky
    Probably dosen't mind using her majesties cash either

7. Yes, I did indeed find out about him being "unjustly incarcerated for 'trumped up charges'" (it says here on the sales sheet). I think I have enough evidence as to whether we shall be stocking this CD or not ;)

8. [​IMG]

All looks a bit 'Blackshirts' to me.
    (Picture from Free Wales Army myspace site)

Seems the National Archives have turned up that he had a 'mental age of 12'.

Did they base that on other 12 year olds in Wales or England? :roll:

Never heard of the movement before. Are they still active? If so, they must be shite because they're not exactly gripping the headlines. Is it just a bunch of retarded taffs terror-walting?