What makes you Middle Class?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by The-Goose, Nov 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Surely if you work you are Working Class and if so then scroungers who don't work are not Working Class, but a sub class let's say Benefit Class.

Whilst not exactly precise Upper Class people just are, they are born to it and they don't seem to need a defining criteria other than that Upper Class people qucikly identify those who are not in their class but are the "Mrs Bookays" (sic)) of the world.

So at what point do you become Middle Class - is it a an educational thing, a finacial limit based on income, background or political belief?

2. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

The UK no longer has 'classes'. There's no model for differentiation that works anymore. There's many people who work but don't have a mortgage, there's more that have high incomes but rent, and there's many many people on the dole who until quite recently had well paid jobs.

If pushed, you might say there's now three 'castes' in the UK. The lifer-crim-druggy poor who'll never amount to **** all, the filthy stinking uber rich who'll never, ever want for anything, ever, and everyone else.

3. You are working class if you keep your ketchup in a cupboard.

You are middle class if you keep your tomato sauce in the fridge.

You are Upper class if you have no idea where your cook keeps it.

4. Thank you for confirming what I have always thought..... I am middle class.

And that would be Tiptree Tomato Sauce!

Q.

5. sorry mate thats just wrong.
    Just look at land ownership in the uk and any claim we are a class society goes out the swanney along with measurements of social moblity the ablity of people to get on and better themselves and your find its bullshit as well.
    the median income in the uk is £24000p.a so talk of people being on £40k a year being the strugguling middle is stastical bullshit

6. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

What about if I know the cook keeps the ketchup in the fridge?

S_R

7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Bugger, now I'm confused. We keep the Tomato Sauce (which just happens to be Ketchup) in the cuboard. My delusions of grandeur have been exposed.

I am Sarkozi, and I've got no clothes.

8. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Then she is working class.

I am working class.............no, wait. I am retired so you can all kiss my ass :)

9. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

Well I have no idea where its kept so by your def I'm upper class (and anyone who has met me will be thinking "BOLLOCKS!" right now). Is this complicated by the fact I cook all my own food and don't keep it in the house?

10. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

What does it make me if I keep Tesco's value brown sauce in the fridge?

11. Do you own a fridge? Do you? Do you really??

12. your working class, if you say class to rhyme with "glass" and middle class if rhymes with clarrse.

the middle class is the biggest self claimed class. the workers want to be seen as better than they are socially, and the toffs dont want to be seen as snobs (for some reason) and so they elect to be upper middle class in preference.. all total BS of course.

13. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Of course I do! I just can't afford to top up the key meter.