What makes the perfect BBQ?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Boozy, Jul 31, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Had a little nosey round and can't find anything so apologies if it's been done.

What makes your ideal bbq?? What techniques do you use for cooking and what could you absolutely not live without barbeque wise? Do you use any interesting or exotic meat or fish on it?

I've just been informed at as my old man is getting on a bit and can't manage and my siblings are useless that from now on I'm in charge of our summer get togethers.

As long back as I can remember we've just done a standard plain burger, sausage and chicken cook but tbh I'm getting bored of the lack of variety and now i have the chance I'd like to introduce some new meat and especially fish to the mix along with some sauces to flavour the meat and perhaps some vegetables. Up until now we've never had any vegetables with bbq's as my dad says they are for hippies.

I am thinking of ideas along these lines...a chicken with a can of beer rammed up it's anus...BBC - Food - Recipes : BBQ ‘beer-can’ chicken

something different, y'know? :nod:
  2. Not calling it a BBQ, for a start. And no eggs - definitely no eggs. *shudders*
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Two words....halloumi cheese!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. This must explain the swelling you have.
  5. Freshly caught Sea Bream, Bass,and mackerel,ect Lobster boiled in a bucket, loads of fresh fruit ,Cheese ,Salad ,and crates of white wine, all washed down with life threatening amounts of rough Cider,and Single Malt, my Idea of a perfect summer evening
    • Like Like x 1
  6. YES, YES, YES :D

Oh, and lots of steak.
  7. what else do you call it then? and whats wrong with eggs?
    normal barbie here consists of nice steaks,rissoles and snags. never tried chook on a barbie. try some nice seafood as well.
  8. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

So tell us how you get the fire lit and important points to remember with regard to optimal cooking conditions when dealing with naked flames?

9. We had fish and cheese parcels with that the other night, trouble is it holds the heat and burns your fingers, tastes great though
  10. Good quality steak. Pork belly slices with Chinese marinade. Home made beefburgers and good sized chicken legs
  11. A decent size fire for a start, preparation, i.e. marinade the things you cook in something nice the day before, loads of recipes out there. Avoid the obvious and use your imagination. Beer helps too.
  12. And no ******* salad.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. I bought this recently ImageUploadedByARRSE1312113065.432851.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Have some very exotic recipes that make for interesting BBQ's. PM me.
  15. Under no circumstances should a woman EVER be allowed to stand by the fire.
    • Like Like x 2