What makes a war hero?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by ghost_us, Nov 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I think this is pertinent here as well.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21725468/

2. Not thinking about what you're doing but just doining it because something in side you says GO!

3. Personally, I think it's someone that fully understands the risks involved, and still does it anyway out of duty, self discipline, or to ensure another's safety or well being.

4. The VC/GC association found that the majority of medal winner were older sibliings or poeple that had always looked after others, normally younger than them selves, without having to think or moan about it.

Maybe true heroisum comes from the sense of helping others when it really matters. Thats why the Medics have more gallentry awards than anyone else.

5. Interesting study and will surprise the generation who base their ideas on Hollywood film scripts.

I have heard my Grandfathers WW2 generation say this, the brave boys (and girls) are rarely the gung ho types but more often the less obvious ones.

Reminds me of something I heard Syndey Jarry say about witnessing soldiers dying quietly without making a fuss so their section could crack on with the battle - I'd say that's an act of heroism but not the type of heroism that sells seats in cinemas.

6. It always seems to me when reading their own stories that it is a case of "That is what I am expected to do" or "Just doing my job".

The majority of real heros seem to have an inbuilt sense of what they should do and they actually go and do it despite what ever dangers are around.

How many of us have ever been in a situation where you realise what you ought to do but for what ever reason you hesitate and the moment is gone?

Heros don't hesitate.

7. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

My father in law, a Chindit who was one of the few who did both patrols once told me the hardest thing for him was leaving a badly wounded colleague in the jungle with a pistol & then later hearing a single shot!

8. What makes a war hero? Well if you want a recipe, first find yourself a war.