What makes a modern hero?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Alsacien, Jan 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7171417.stm

Thought this was interesting - until the last paragraph...

"Now awards have gone to "ordinary" people. Edward Wilson was made MBE for three decades as a street sweeper in London's West End. Anne Milner earned the same honour for her work as a traffic warden in Cornwall. Dinner lady and school cleaner Dorothy Winner, a head teacher who had turned around a failing school, was knighted. "

FFS :x

2. Being a cockney twat that can cook (alledgely) would do. The present Government has devalued many honours to the level of Blue Peter Badges.

3. There are no such things anymore. That's an elitist comment and I, personally, am outraged.

4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

You can say to your boy, "Look junior Carrots, when you grow up you can be a wheel-clamper - after 30 years of keeping your nose clean, you might get a knighthood."
    "Wow Smartas senior, that is something to aspire to, and to be a person admired by all....."

5. A football/rugby/cricket team at an international competition.

What about that bloke who pedalled around the world either by a small pedal boat or bike. What did he get in recognition because i'd say that must have been pretty epic.

6. You have to be a bone chav and win big bruvver - or have shat loads of money, be famous for no apparent reason.... thick as mince, be no inspiration to the new generation of society. Give me just an hour with them on the drill square, I will give them a fecking sorting sniffling little cnuts!!!!!!!! I'd fragg them till their eyes bled!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

7. That's the dream, mate <sniff>... that's the dream... (stares mistily at horizon).

8. They'd just walk off, and if you lifted a finger you'd be sacked and imprisoned!

9. I think you've just pissed on his parade!

10. What makes a modern hero???

… the ability to fly :D

[​IMG]

11. Its a great shame though - now that would make good reality television celebrity chav lads army..... I'll volunteer for the RP Sgts job :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

[​IMG]

12. doesn't go like ..

MBE = My Bloody Effort
    OBE = Other Buggers Effort
    KCMG = Kindly Call Me God

I'm sure they're others ...

13. LOL:

A hero is someone who best articulates, ideally in a spectacular, photogenic and popular form, the core values of a particular society.

Which gives the British a problem (one much discussed on this forum): how to articulate those values, simply and clearly, in a multi-cultural society which, by definition, has no obvious single set of values?

I was struck following 9/11 by photos of Palestinian youths allegedly celebrating the OBL plane strikes. I say "allegedly" because I'm not 100% sure the spin put on the photos was genuine. But if the spin was genuine then OBL is a bona fide hero to segments of Palestinian society (according to my definition): OBL articulated, in a spectacular, photogenic and popular form, those values. Opinion polls in Afghanistan and Iraq support that claim.

When British society was dominated by the values of "upper class men with stiff, and usually moustachioed, upper lips" it was easy to create heroes. It's one reason the Queen had so much trouble after Diana died. Lady Di certainly was a hero to many people. But she had no moustache, and made a specialty of having a somewhat flexible upper lip, hence the Queen’s initial confusion.

14. Does a beard count?

Attached Files:

15. HERO

[​IMG]

THIS GUY IS A LEGEND