What makes a good Commanding Officer

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Medicalfool, Dec 11, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was reading some articles on what makes a good CO and I always hear people compain about theirs, so what actually makes a good CO in the mind of ARRSE'ers?
  2. Having an arse like a peach and wearing skin tight shorts on PT (as an ex CO (of the female persuasion) of mine did).
  3. As an OC back in 94 - 95 (sound of the lamp swinging gently) I had a truly outstanding CO. Before and after that I've had total ***** who I'd gladly curl one upon in their dieing moments as they begged for the sacrament of Christ to absolve them from their sins. I've also heard too many stories of other nasty ******* in position of absolute power.
    Perhaps it's easier to ask: what makes a bad CO; this could go viral.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. What makes a good Commanding Officer? A good RSM!
    • Like Like x 12
  5. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I prefer the type of commander who looks at his (or her) team encourages them to make the most of their strengths and overcome their weakness in order to complete the mission.

That doesn't necessarily mean being best mates with everyone but A good commander isn't one that climbs to the top on a pile of broken subordinates.

Only a fool would ignore their own career but it should never be thier main focus.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Reading the beginning of that, I thought Jarrod had replied until you spoiled it with the bit in brackets.
  7. Knowing his own mind and sticking to it for more than a few minutes at a time. Knowing his trade and his men. Trusting his subordinates as much as they deserve. Hammering anyone who steps out of line or doesn't live up to the required standard but indulging the odd bit of 'creativity' so long as they get the job done. Not obsessing over trivia.
    • Like Like x 5
  8. Not so sure of that DN, a good RSM is also a relative question - an infantry RSM will be different from a support arm RSM and in turn they will both be different sorts of officers. Some RSMs (and we all knew the ones) saw getting the post as a natural progression to officerdom and IMHO lost their effectiveness. Back on track, I had an excellent CO back in 2002/2003 who is now a 2*. Nice to know that someone else thought he was pretty sharp too!
  9. Being obsessed with trivia is an absolute indicator of a terrible boss
  10. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 1
  11. In my crowy eyes:

Excellent situational awareness both up and at least 2 down.
    Knowing enough about things so that people don't even bother trying to bluff their case.
    Listening to what subordinates have to say and knowing when to go hard over and when to flex.
    Ensuring all CORGIs are put past the team before being unleashed.
    Showing an interest in all areas of regimental life and not just focusing on one area.
    Having the ability to add value in any area whilst maintaining the humility to remain approachable.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

A bucket please... quickly....
  13. Standing with the blokes on PT, allowing the RSM to do the discipline and enforcing standards within the Bn/Regt....always worked for me.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. One who several years later recognises you as you browse around Lillywhites and takes you for a coffee. Over which he enquires genuinely how 'civvy street' is treating you before revealing he is still serving and working for the MOD........

Edited to add; Still trying to work out what rank he would have been then
  15. Sounds like an absolute gem of a CO.