What made you think, f**k it, I'll stay?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I got paid 4 grand last year (plus my civvy wages) to do Remembrance Sunday, a bit of sport and go to Japan for 3 weeks.

Cheers easy.

2AF59C71-F1CE-4B15-A03D-62EE6164990C.jpeg
43505DE7-C906-4291-9785-E0503E09CFCD.jpeg
FCD4BD1A-F5AE-40FB-90D8-13BCE7512661.jpeg
BCBBA7DB-8426-46CC-A445-06BAB45A6A91.jpeg
565BEE6D-98B4-42C6-B39A-8AB1D046AC63.jpeg
BDB84CBF-8611-4F65-B226-0CEC45F2ED19.jpeg
7F6898E1-C8FB-44C1-8737-C6BBBDFE8526.jpeg
C56D48A3-999A-48E3-AC00-40D137D6FAAA.jpeg

bit tame for you, no supping,shagging or scraping these days ,not even throwing a chicken at the law
Well of course.
He's landed Gentry now , diplomatic incidents and all that. He has to behave or Mrs Ravers will kick the **** into him.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
bit tame for you, no supping,shagging or scraping these days ,not even throwing a chicken at the law
What can I say? People grow up.

I stole a glass from the Hard Rock Cafe if it’s any consolation.

Just_plain_you

Old-Salt
Sometimes it feels like my kit is on bungees. I keep trying to hand it in but it always seem to spring back...

I still get the chance to blow shit up every now and then. Somehow makes it all worthwhile!

Habit. And to get away from back-biting at work. More sleep as well.

There must be something too it. Interestingly enough* I see a big difference in retention between the AR sig and inf units I served with. The sigs seem to have a lot of people who were there when I joined 16 years ago but the same can definitely not be said for the inf unit (joined 2007/2008 )

*thats debatable

SoftPawn

Old-Salt
Habit - and contrasts. Reserves are still (usually) fascinatingly different to commerce and academia.

Where else does a 50 year old get to be shouted at by a 30 year old - and get paid for it?!

Keeps me from getting comfortable

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Not stay, but go back. I waltzed into Sunderland ACIO and signed. Couple of days later at Sutton Coldfield, "I want to join the RAC."
"Fúck off you're over-qualified. Go and look at the stands and give me a sensible answer. "
That requires signing on for six. Fúck it. That requires signing on for nine. Not a chance. Ooh RMP, top pay band and I only need to sign on for three. Cheers easy.

88 days later. "RMP, you can shove your truncheons where the sun doesn't shine. You won't let me transfer to the RAC? Here's £15, a day's pay for Discharge As A Statutory Right between 8 weeks and three months. See? Here. I brought my contract with me. So long and thanks for all the fish."

Couple of weeks later, Sunderland in the 70s. I'm not going down the mine, however much it's in me blood. Shipyards? Same detail. Back into ACIO. "You're back?"

"I want to join, and this time, I don't want to be swayed." Easy. At this point the legend Paddy Fox walked in. "One for you, Paddy." And so it came to pass.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Currently onboard an unnamed Type 23 Frigate pretending to do maintenance. For the past three days I’ve basically rocked up in the morning, found an excuse to thin out to another part of the dockyard, then gone round catching up with old oppos.

If I’m still in rig by 1300 then I consider the day to be a failure.

For this I shall be paid 18 days of my RN salary, plus my 1800 quid tax free bounty, along with my civvy wages.

When you lump it all together, my daily rate of pay is more than a Captain’s.

Latest Threads