What made you think 'enough is enough' and sign off?

That looks suspiciously like she's got you on the inheritance speedup diet
Dunno about that mate, Bangers low fat, bacon lean both grilled. Beans sugar free liquor, eggs and mushrooms fried with some stuff called FriLite.
What's wrong with Olive Oil I ask you, its a bloody liberty I tell you!!!!!

Truxx

LE
I got to my 21 year point knowing I was going to sign off, I'd been telling anyone who'd listen and many who didn't. I told my team that it was not a negative thing that I had reached WO1 and had a great career, but now it was time to settle down with my family.

I loved the army, but whilst it had always impacted on my family, I only started to care around the 18 year point (I'm not a career first narcissistic twat, but while the kids were really young, the impact was less). Not just deployments and training, but a mess meeting meant my mum travelling two hours on the bus to stay overnight so my daughter could go to Brownies as it clashed with the boys bedtime.

I joined the council on a £7k drop in pay, negated by my pension. I had spoken to peers who went into £60k a year jobs and they worked 60 hour weeks. Private industry expect a return on their investment.

Unfortunately, the council isn't quite as easy as I thought it would be. I expected the disorganisation and lack of funds, but the workload has me working most evenings. That said, I accrue at least a days flexi a month, although my stress is higher than when I was in as after 6 months I am still learning the processes. There was no training.

I miss being in, but I appreciate the time I spend with my family. Home every evening and weekend, I can take time off to attend family stuff, but the workload never seems to go away. I will learn to adjust, I still give too many fucks as most ex mob will, I will learn to not care so much and leave it in the office.

I hope.
The "missing being in" is normal if unsettling. It also does not go away, at least in my opinion.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
That would be why you went all the way, and I didn't.

Personality fault of mine. I can't abide wànkers that have superior rank to me. Never done well with that. If there's someone in my CoC (or civvy equivalent) that has a dim view of me and is in a position to fcuk me over, it is time to do something different.
The last confidential report I had written by an officer (last couple were written by a civvy) contained a line that has remained with me forever.

"Sergeant Alien does not tolerate stupidity, regardless of rank." Thinking about it, read my first post in this thread, you can see that in action.

Last edited:

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I can’t even do Dress Down Friday without breaking into a nervous sweat :grin:
Same. Consulting at BT, they did Dress Down Friday. ACL, the consultancy, made it abundantly clear that we didn't, and fine by me. My concession to Dress Down Friday was to select a Friday tie from my extensive wardrobe of probably in excess of 30. My favourite was a subtle and subliminal Mickey Mouse.

In IBM, where it was socks, sandals and beards, I continued to to shave daily and wear a tie (including Friday ties). One has to have standards unless you're cavalry, in which case a guidon is de rigeur.

Last edited:

Dafty duck

War Hero
Still in (reserves) after 37 years but there has been many many times i felt like throwing in the towel and telling a few of the hobby'ists and arse lickers to shove it up their arse.
I'm sure I remember seeing you in the bar telling some people that very thing!

I suppose my carry on from the mob, still polish my M/C boots everytime I wear them, can't polish my work boots, but I do brush them.
I absolutely hate being late (hurry up and wait!) and get really pi55ed with folk who cannot be bothered to even pickup the phone and tell you. As for twats who don't turn up and don't have the decency to let you know....... :pissedoff:

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I look at the work/life balance of the OF5/6s above and around me, and frankly not a single one of them has inspired me to stay. Whilst I haven’t signed off yet, it’d take a fairly significant change to make me want to think differently.
Do what I did. Decided to retire (via pvr) and was then offered any job at my grade to stay......I still left.

In the true spirit of the pantomime that was 4 (Mil Trg) Sqn, RSS, "oh yes it did".

Not Combat Siggies, because there were none left in my time in the regular Corps, but Delay Ops, Powermen etc in that particular shitshow, yes indeedy. I recall one in particular who absolutely delighted in fcuking techs around simply because of their trade. That guy made RSM and subsequently LE, where I left as a Sgt. At the time, I was very bitter about the inequity of it all.

Best part of 20 years later, many thanks are due to that guy. He made me see the truth of it, and thank God he did. But I am crystal clear that that was not his intention.

Agreed on techs and RTGs doing well, but that was in spite of, not because of, the 4 Sqn instructors' best efforts.

As an instructor, I always strove to train people to pass. The same could not be said of those wànkers.

Yes OK, I'm still bitter 20 years later. Blow me :)
All my promotion courses were pre 4 Sqn, so I was never exposed to their preening and buffoonery. It seemed to take an ominous turn when they opened up in Blandford, employing people with 'special' badges as far as they could. In those situations I always tend to think that the high-intensity unit that surrendered them to the task felt that they could get by without them. This seems to be borne out by several of the stories I have heard.

Lacking Moral Fibre

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
I bought myself out of the RAF in 1989. I joined as a very immature 17 yrs old 6 yrs before. I knew I was unlucky and my career had that far had proved it, 3 yrs in at Brize Norton and then same at Greenham Common.
No overseas trips at all, never flew with the RAF*, my only flight was a USAF Herc to and from the outer Hebrides. Blokes I had joined up with had done postings in Germany, Falklands, N Ireland and Belize. Lots of trips to SPTA and Sennybridge. A disasterous marriage of course and with the cold war thawing and being skint my dad offered me a job with the family business, I've been here since.
I did offer to stay if I could get posted to N Ireland but the system told me I had withdraw my PVR first-lucky for me this time.
Within a year of leaving I had bought my own house. I was also convinced with the peace divided there'd be no more wars. Then Gulf War 1 happened. I even tried to re join but as I had joined the TA the RAF said no.

* I flew with the TA from Brize to Cyprus, the tri star taxied past my old Sqn hanger. Then a flight in a Puma and a Lynx on exercises, those are most of the high lights of my military career!

I jacked in the TA after 9 yrs, I was married again with a kid and running the business I couldn't spare the time anymore. I have a lot of regrets that I didn't do and see more, that I didn't push myself and get more out of the system and I didn't shag and booze a lot more!

I was more or less complicit in my own demise, like any other tragically-flawed hero of old.

I chose my regiment based on little more than where they were based being a place I wanted to visit and joined them only to discover they were slated for amalgamation. I shrugged, stagged on and picked up some fun Rentajock stuff but when the Day of Days came, I chose in a fit of capbadge-loyalty pique to transfer rather than serve with the amalgamated regiment and wound up with a unit who demonstrated the standard Army sense of humour by including me with their AIMI draft back to - guess who?

From then on, I was at the hind teat for every career course and at the forefront of any det task that would take me away from Bn soldiering. I got to do a fair amount of fun stuff that wouldn't have been happened if I'd been better career-managed but as I approached the 12-year point I looked at my peers, read my own tealeaves and decided I'd be better off slithering into civviedom earlier than later.

If I'd had the choice to stay in for the full 22, I'd have done it but that wasn't an option. Life hasn't worked out too badly on the outside, though.

Latest Threads