What made you think 'enough is enough' and sign off?

endure

GCM
So, hearsay.

Did they have a chaperone with their missus the whole time they were at sea ?
No - personal experience of setting the calls up.

I didn't say that they were necessarily faithful - I said that marriages to nurses lasted.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
No - personal experience of setting the calls up.
I might have personal experience of fuelling a Formula 2 car, doesn't mean I have any idea how it drives other than what the chauffeur chooses to tell me.

I didn't say that they were necessarily faithful - I said that marriages to nurses lasted.
Fair one, nurses tend to be filth.
In a good way.

But that's just theory and hearsay, not borne out from practical personal experience.

I dunno, i shagged a nurse in Taunton whose Marine hubby was on tour.

As far as i could tell she was sticking with him, i was just there to give her zinc and Vit. A injections/facials for a week or so.

I might have personal experience of fuelling a Formula 2 car, doesn't mean I have any idea how it drives other than what the chauffeur chooses to tell me.

Fair one, nurses tend to be filth.
In a good way.
Did someone say nurses? Lonely nurses whose husbands are away for long periods of time?

Hippohunter

Old-Salt
What made me think enough is enough? A lying ****** of a CO.

I was posted to NI in early 89 for a 2 year tour as part of the core around which roulement tour personnel be attached. It was generally accepted that after that time you pretty much got the posting of choice within reason. 2 years coming to a close so PB14 came out to see me. I was quite happy with HK, Cyprus or Canada. However I was asked to extend by a year due to a ludicrous policy introduced by the GOC. Anyway I agreed on condition HK on completion, hands shaken job done.

1 year later now 3 in NI in early 92 HK was cancelled and I was heading to Detmold where I had previously been due to high NVG hours and they were trying to put together a night anti tank squadron. We simply did not have the kit and it was an accident waiting to happen that was only avoided by a superb SQHI.

However just before leaving I was told I would not be going until September as 4 Regt had a requirement to provide someone for a roulement tour starting now so for convenience they were just GOING to leave me in NI. Eventually on arrival at Detmold on CO’s interview he informed me that I was down for a roulement in December in 3 months time. I informed him I had just done a 4 Regt roulement tour which he categorically denied stating that was all down to NI Regt. Fortunately I still had the signal from March with me CC on the distribution list. The signal clearly stated I was to go onto 4 Regt strength and do the 4 Regt tour. He was not pleased when seen to be a proven liar and was more concerned over how I got the signal as he had specifically stated I was not to be informed about the “arrangement” than being proved a liar

Part 2 of the redundancy was coming up so I took it. When he asked why I was applying he seemed stunned when I replied”If you need to ******* ask you don’t deserve a ******* answer”. Andy Simkins ****** extraordinaire.

Been reading this thread with interest. Some fantastic tales that have made me alternately laugh / shake my head in despair.

I won't post in this thread, but I can say that I have a couple of similar experiences in civvy street when working for large companies. I will start an equivalent civvy street thread which might give some of you a laugh.

Been reading this thread with interest. Some fantastic tales that have made me alternately laugh / shake my head in despair.

I won't post in this thread, but I can say that I have a couple of similar experiences in civvy street when working for large companies. I will start an equivalent civvy street thread which might give some of you a laugh.
Confused.com

A good friend has told me her man in the Navy has taken a ten year extension..she's devastated, he's at his 22 year point and she was hoping that'd be it. Three kids under ten and she's not seen him in six months, in my eyes he should be changing his priorities, but perhaps he doesn't want to leave.

Got me wondering about when I decided enough was enough.

Got shouted at over something menial and made to look a right ****, and thought that after Telic and a pretty rough Herrick, I was tired of being spoken to like that, especially as an NCO. Whilst I don't expect the army to change, I always felt Seniors needed to manage their more experienced men better and realise they're not daft wee boys.

The RCOs attitude when I asked for a posting to Scotland for two years so we could start a family (having never asked for anything or done anything to the army other than give give give) underlined the shite treatment I wasn't willing to take anymore and made me take the plunge.

Anyone else remember what made them decide to leave?

Or if you reached your time, how did you feel about leaving?
I guess the answer is maturity..... After the Gulf, I was approaching 9 years and probably thinking I have had enough. Bosnia happened, didn't really want to go and when over there, was less than impressed with the mission and generally saw the army in a different way and just had enough of the pettiness.

The maturity bit comes from reaching a conclusion, that the services is a great life, but as well as the good stuff the bad stuff can no longer be tolerated.

There were two planks of the argument for me leaving at the 10 yr point as a Sgt. I was facing the decision of going FofS or not, so by the time the course was over and the 5 yr time bar served, I'd only have 5 to push for the pension. So it was "now or never".

On the positive side, I absolutely loved being in the Army. People would often ask "where is home?". And the answer was the Army itself. Any barracks, airfield, camp, whatever, was home. I felt a sense of belonging driving through the gates of any military establishment.

I was well-qualified in my world. My world was the Clansman radio system. I was a Class 1 Radio Tech, in Equipment Section of the Royal School of Signals. Teaching the inner workings of the sets and ancillary systems (CRCH, CSSH, ATR, Antenna systems etc) to basic and upgrading techs. I was also a Class 2 Telecommunications Operator (Telegraphist) (RTG in old money). That trade encompassed the entirety of two others - Data Telegraphist and Radio Operator, and a bit more besides (morse, radio telegraphy). With the exception of Clansman manpacks, I knew just about all there was to know about the Clansman radio system. Even manpacks, the Corps didn't have many, but my first posting as a regular RTG was to a unit that had a lot of them, so they weren't completely alien.

Set against that, was the middle management of the Corps in regimental duty slots. Troop SSgts and SSMs. There were some excellent blokes in those ranks in my time, but the other 75% of them were absolutely fcuking useless. Some of them took great delight in messing techs around simply because of their trade. On my arrival interview at one unit, I had a great interview with the OC and 2IC. I'd done the proper thing and sent a letter beforehand, straight out of the old JSP101. Then into the SSM, who opens with "you're shit".

Another unit, 8 Sigs - I am a LCpl on a basic tech course with another 12 or 15 NIGs. I'm permanent course leader because I have the one magic banana. SSM storms up to my squad, points his finger at me and screams "you fcuking lied to me". I hadn't, but the cnut had to try and embarrass me in front of my squad.

At Blandford, my SSM (a Liney) hated all the techs in Radio Sqn. As a class 1 tech Sgt, I was on more money than he was. As much as he hated all techs, he hated our Staffy even more. So he tried befriending me to get dirt on our staffy. Trying to force division among us.

It occurred to me that even if I got through the FofS selection process and the course, I would have to put up with these tossers for the rest of my career. The Corps wasn't going to change, I either sucked it up or left.

I looked around at the job market, and got the impression I'd be fine. Signed off, and got a job 6 months before I left. I haven't looked back in terms of career success.

It's a great shame, really. I loved being in the Army, and I was bloody good at what I did. Yet I'd have been weighed down by all the baggage that the Corps was carrying in those days. I hope it has changed.

I've posted this before, but when the barrier came down behind me for the last time, I cried like a baby. The ultimate act of disloyalty was in my own best interests. In reality, no-one ever leaves the Army. Or more correctly, it never leaves you.

So here I am, 4000 miles from my last posting, and we moved into our house a few months ago. One of the first things I did, was put my plaques up. Certa Cito.

View attachment 415670

You think the Regimental Duty crowd hated techs, try being Spec Op or Ewop..... didn't make it better when you muttered about trying harder at school...

I’ve already posted upthread. To expand a bit: i got married. I thought: if we have kids I want to be around for them (and the Mrs).
I was in a regiment that had amalgamated with another. That’s supposed to mean a merger, but amalgamation doesn’t work that way. I was at the bottom of the pile and a kind clerk showed me the promotion lists, so I was off.
We never had kids (that’s me and the long-suffering Mrs), but we are still together and still experiencing all that life has to throw at us.

You think the Regimental Duty crowd hated techs, try being Spec Op or Ewop..... didn't make it better when you muttered about trying harder at school...
Personally it never bothered me that a small number of low grade RDs thought that they hated techs (They didn't really, it was just a 'cool' thing to pretend). I understood that their low self-esteem made them behave that way and sort of felt sorry for them. It also helped that I was able to insult and deride them in ways that they often didn't even understand.

Personally it never bothered me that a small number of low grade RDs thought that they hated techs (They didn't really, it was just a 'cool' thing to pretend). I understood that their low self-esteem made them behave that way and sort of felt sorry for them. It also helped that I was able to insult and deride them in ways that they often didn't even understand.
REME World. JMC 42 started. Instructors all RD OR RS when I left. 12 passed, one tech... He was P Coy.

And on my fourth JMC...

Last edited:

Hippohunter

Old-Salt
Bearing in mind that this was in 1993, he seems to have made quite a lasting impact on you.
Until that point I had only experienced officers that were on the whole gentleman and honourable, to be so brutally disabused of that by a bare faced liar had a lasting impression. What made it worse was he being more concerned that I had found out about his lie rather than he had lied. I had nothing but contempt for him from then on.

Latest Threads