What Made you Join - What made you leave

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by The_Rattler, Jan 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. When I peruse through the threads here I see many folk who are positive and constructive about the Armed forces and on the other side I see some complete choppers who should never have joined up.

But to get something moving

For me if I had not joined up I would have ended up a bad apple I think, so really part of it was to leave the area I came from and the other was to get a better education. I enjoyed all of my 9 and a bit years and have a couple of regrets still after getting out (even after 10 years elapsing). I left t because many folk were leaving and selling civvies street as the grass was greener better money company cars overtime and been paid to drink beer turn up late the next day and blame traffic. Cool
  2. Can't remember why now as it was so long ago.

Left because they said I was now an old cnut and had to feck off.
  3. Serving my country while seeing the world made me join up 22 years ago, a big fat lump sum and a monthly pension will help take the sting out of leaving in 2 years time. Don't regret a single day of it and hopefully I won't struggle to fit into civilian street, fingers crossed.
  4. Joined up because of some filthy con trick advert called Where's Frank. He appeared to be doing everything a young man in his prime could want: boozing, rock climbing wind -surfing, you name it our Frank was doing it. Everthing in fact except what really happened once I'd walked into the careers office. Now I still want to know where Frank is, just so I can deliver a swift kick to his groin.
  5. Joined because it was all I wanted to do, left school and three weeks later I was in.
    Left because I didn't want to go and train recruits! Got the hump and signed off. Regret it? With hindsight yes.
  6. What made me join: The prospect of women.

What made me leave: A woman.

7. Frank and his windsurfer

Prospect of endless tours
  8. Walked out of pub, saw office seemed a good idea at the time
    22 years later told I was old and given money to go, was a good idea after all
  9. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Was coming to the end of my summer job and couldn't find a real one. Not enjoying the prospect of another year at school I asked my Dad about the Army, he'd done 26 years. Joined and not-with-standing as a junior going back into the classroom quite a bit, I found I loved it.

Left 13 years later as i no longer loved it.

No regrets over all, loved my time in and did a lot of things I'd never dreamed of. Since leaving nearly 11 years ago civi street has been pretty good to me.

If it was going to be the same I'd do it all over again.
  10. Joined because it was marginaly more interesting than my exciting dynamic career as a storeman with NAAFI (ha ha yes it's true)

Left because of a clumsy 'incident' with a vaccum cleaner hose, a tub of swarfega and a pound of chopped lamb's liver....cough.....
  11. ancienturion

ancienturion LE Book Reviewer

Why did I join?
    An envelope on behalf of Her Majesty inviting(?) me to participate.

Why did I leave?
    Trying to hold a marriage together. A waste of time that was.

Why did I join (again)
    Realised what I was missing.

Why did I leave?
    Another envelope saying "time's up. Go!"

Loved it all - even the nasty bits really.
  12. Wasn't that a BT advert?

Do you mean....

"To be Frank..." cue rock climbing, pool playing, girls dancing, mates laughing, car driving, mates laughing (again)....
  13. Originally signed up for three years because I'd fecked up at school and needed to get away.

Stayed on because misguided people said I was good and kept offering me promotion, incl a commision.

Left because the con trick was exposed when I got the whole of B Ech lost on the prairie at BATUS and I was becoming an old fart and didn't feel up to beating the shit out of the young thrusters any more - and a timely arrival of a redundancy package :D

Do it all again, no question.
  14. At the time I think I joined because it was all I had ever wanted to do since I saw the Commando Display Team thingy fast rope (don't know what it was called in 1979?!?!) out of a Sea King onto my Primary School playing fields. Plus some fat Chief in the RN careers office shouted at me a bit like the rugby coach at school did. I figured I was good at getting shouted at, so I'd fit right in!

In actual fact I think my inherant and unstoppable hedonist-radar pinged at the prospect of feeling like I'd done something to be proud of, something REALLY hard (that fecking last 6 miles of the 30 miler still comes close to breaking me), doing a lot of pishing up, bezzering, dressing up as a gay biker/smurf/cheerleader/lycra pit girl and being paid for not really taking charge of a load of similarly idiotic juveniles. Oh, and travelling the world, meeting interesting new people and pointing weapons at them.

In hindsight, and with the maturity that the (totally undeserved) love of a good woman (singular - see above about dress sense... ) brings, 14 years in uniform and more brushes with the Emperor Mong and all his mischeivous minions than should really be allowed in one commission, I think I just was having fun and being paid for it.

I left because I grew up, I realised that the fun had to stop and that I wouldn't get more than 4 more years with "lads" to play out with. The pay was good, but not great and there had developed a dishonesty about what my ultimte masters paid me to do. We were inept firemen when the professionals striked, so the government could say there was fire-cover (when there wasn't really). I was given medal for supporting operations in Afghanistan when I was planning a semi-legal war elsewhere because the government wouldn't admit that its intention had always been to invade Iraq from the outset. I had to listen to a team of "Consultants" from Whitehall "assess" my JNCOs in how they trained Marine Recuits - not one of them had ANY military experience, but every one of them earned in excess of 4 times the salary of a Cpl, and they all knew better. Apparently. Lads had started coming home from places neggers legs and arms and getting seen off financially for the privilage, whilst civil servants got £1/2million payouts for poorly thumbs. These same lads couldn't even get the medical treatment they deserved or go to the local pool....

In the end, it wasn't as much fun anymore.

Maybe it had always been that way, and I just realised it when the operations and commands became more scarce, but faced with 17 years as a Staff Officer on ok money, my mind and loyalty wandered - that's when I knew I'd done my time.

Now I do the same job I always loved, just in civvies and with other ex-soldiers. Apart from the obvious surrender-jibes from the ex-Para Reg monkeys it's fantastic. And the money makes up for the time away from home. Just.

I don't regret leaving, because I knew my heart wasn't in it anymore and that's not fair on the lads who rely on you, but I do miss it, and there's not a day goes by when I don't giggle with nostalgic childishness at a skiffing/bezzering/shitting/lagging dit spun by one of the shooters!

I don't think you ever really leave in your own mind, otherwise there would be no Arrse!