What Lies Beneath - Troglodyte Travels

J

JWBenett

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-29566275

Stumbled on this Beeb article about underground constructions and caverns , this afternoon. "From deep-level air raid shelters to the colossal Crossrail construction, beneath London lies a labyrinth of tunnels. BBC News delved underground to visit some of the capital's rarely seen subterranean spots'.

I know there are books on this stuff , and even societies that root around downstairs in the dark. Anything of interest round your way from the Industrial Rev., or in military history? There is an old chap I met on holiday down at Lynton Dartmoor Museum (staff). He remembered pits being dug for Bentley Priory (now Flats). He sat in apple trees and watched it all. And people's gardens subsiding around the site during the war, apparently.

He also spoke of sneaking around tunnels leading to the stately house, and described it all from pretty good recall.

Good amateur site here http://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2011/09/08/a-tour-inside-raf-bentley-priory/

L

lumpy2

Dorking "caves" (actually man made tunnels) have an interesting history, not sure what their original purpose was except to connect premises, or use as wine cellars, but they were also used by smugglers in past centuries. I think they're open to the public on certain days. Might be worth a look if you like that sort of thing ...

J

JWBenett

Thanks Lumpy. I didn't - but I might dig a bit deeper now. I'll be working tonight but I will get back to this.

ACAB

LE
We have something similar in Hythe. The Bell Inn has a tunnel that used to run out to sea to allow smugglers bringing in Brandy and Champagne. The place was renovated by my Father in Law in the early 60s and the main fireplace (which was bricked up) opened and two skeletons found. The Coroner decided that because they were wearing S lock belts that they were probably Revenue Men who had fallen foul of the smugglers.

L

lumpy2

Thanks Lumpy. I didn't - but I might dig a bit deeper now. I'll be working tonight but I will get back to this.

Also "Necropolis: London and Its Dead" by Catharine Arnold makes a fascinating if gruesome read. I read it some years ago and can't remember details but I'm sure it makes mention of underground burial sites around London.

jim30

LE
Henry 8th wine cellar isn't in Pindar, it's in the basement and anyone in MB can see it. Actually worth popping into if you like history as it has a small display on its history and background that anyone who likes history would enjoy.

Sadly unless you byob the quality of wine these days isn't that great!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

J

JWBenett

THE AUXILIARY UNITS BASES WW2

"Officially they were known as 'operational bases'. The word 'hideout', the officers who ran the Resistance soon decided, suggested a more passive purpose than that for which these bases had been constructed, and if overheard by the Germans or their friends, would not alert them to their intended use.

Auxiliary Units hideouts were supposed to be merely the places to which Resistance men could withdraw to eat, sleep and lie low. However, some of the first hideouts in Kent appear to have been built with sieges in mind, for they had their own early-warning outposts several hundred yards away, connected to them by hidden telephone wires. And several of the hideouts in Kent were, like the one entered through the sheep trough, built primarily as lookout points.

By the end Of 1940 about 300 hideouts were already in use around the country, and another 61 were ready by the spring of 1941. There were some 534 by the end of that year, and although no later figures are available, upwards of a thousand existed at the time that the Auxiliary Units patrols were disbanded." Interesting site http://www.coleshillhouse.com/bunkers.php

Cheers everyone. Jim, I read of a chapel in the HoC complete with font. Wonder what's under that place within the OSA.
http://www.explore-parliament.net/nssMovies/07/0796/0796_.htm

slick

LE
I had a look on one of the urban exploration forums several years ago, and there was a place up north where they`d raised the level of a road back in the 20s I think. The lad who posted had found entry to the original level through a small door and posted pics. The original level still had a small parade of tiny shops, some still with goods in scattered around. Very dark and extremely dusty, but very eerie. It was like taking a step back in time.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I had a look on one of the urban exploration forums several years ago, and there was a place up north where they`d raised the level of a road back in the 20s I think. The lad who posted had found entry to the original level through a small door and posted pics. The original level still had a small parade of tiny shops, some still with goods in scattered around. Very dark and extremely dusty, but very eerie. It was like taking a step back in time.

Common in a lot of cities: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Underground

I thought this was another RCT thread.

Stinking trogs.

Latest Threads