What licence category were 4 tonners?

ugly

LE
I still have my paper license as well but will have to turn it in next year when I hit the big 70.
I was told at a certain car dealer "Arnold Clark" that I needed a new photo license to hire a car as the paper one was not valid
Pish its valid until you move house

Engine: Bedford 6-cyl. diesel. Really! I only ever drove petrol engine ones, R/H drive or L/h drive.

Bedford RL, 6 cylinder petrol, will do 90 fully loaded, firing order 153642, I had one for 3 years back in the stone age. 27EP19. 10 sigs, In a KAPE team, wonderful vehicle to drive, if you turned off the ignition at speed, then turned it on again after about 5 seconds, it blew the silencer, and you sounded like a Sherman tank, handy for motorway driving, scared the shit out of the civvies, as you crept up them on the north circular.

Bedford RL, 6 cylinder petrol, will do 90 fully loaded, firing order 153642, I had one for 3 years back in the stone age. 27EP19. 10 sigs, In a KAPE team, wonderful vehicle to drive, if you turned off the ignition at speed, then turned it on again after about 5 seconds, it blew the silencer, and you sounded like a Sherman tank, handy for motorway driving, scared the shit out of the civvies, as you crept up them on the north circular.
Yes, I loved driving the RL, must admit when I looked at that spec sheet, I thought I was loosing it!!!
Thank god someone confermed that it was petrol. I was looking at it, it was petrol, surely it was petrol.... Phew!!!!
MK was shit....

Yes, I loved driving the RL, must admit when I looked at that spec sheet, I thought I was loosing it!!!
Thank god someone confermed that it was petrol. I was looking at it, it was petrol, surely it was petrol.... Phew!!!!
MK was shit....
I didn't notice the engine spec in the original post. I too thought they were petrol, almost silent at idle if I remember.
Here's some proof to calm people down:

Image (17).jpg

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
The Bedford RL was originally designated as a "3 ton GS" and could be driven on a standard car licence..

At some point in the late 60s it magically became a "4 ton GS" and required a higher grade licence. The story was that the military had lied about the axle weight when the RL was first introduced so that they could keep using their civvy drivers.. (mil drivers did not need a licence at that time!) although this may be bolloux!
I’d heard there was some sort of jiggery pokery and sleight of hand when it came 5o lorries and licences.

ugly

LE
At some point in the 1970's the MoD at least decided that a car license wasn't enough and we had the anomoly of the class three which is now covered by the 7.5 ton category

You have me there, "For use on ships"?
How would you use an RL on board ship.?
There was a not inconsiderable fleet of vehicles kept on landing ships for use in amphibious ops. Because of the fire risk associated with petrol vehicles in enclosed spaces, they had to be diesel. There were both Landrovers and 4 tonners in this category.. I think the 1 tonne landrovers that the Commando Gunners had for their light guns were all diesel as well. Most of the B vehicle fleet for the Commando brigade was diesel long before the Army as I recall. The Army were nearly all petrol in the 60s, both A and B vehicle fleets. The Centurion tank had a Comet (modified Merlin) engine which was only usable with petrol. The Chieftain was run on petrol (combatgas) when it first came into service, but was retuned for Diesel later on (one of the few advantages of the L60 engine).

There was a gradual changeover during the 70s. I know the fuel ratio used to be about 50:50 combatgas:dieso in the early 70s when I was with the Combat Supplies (Complete Surprise) Battalion, but this changed rapidly over the following decades as more and better diesel engines became available. Having a mix of fuels available was operationally useful however as it was common practice to cut petrol into diesel as the ambient temperature fell to prevent waxing in diesel at low temperatures. Having trained fuel engineers (Pet Ops) in uniform was extremely useful as they were able to monitor and mix fuel to meet the requirement..

Last edited:
I've still got a paper licence. I've lost count of the number of people who had no idea what it was, or thought the only licence was the plastic one :)
I'm forever peed off that I swapped my original pink paper one for an updated one when I moved back in the 90s.
I inherited the family seat so back where I started and had to renew with a nasty photocard which expires in November along with my class C at 49 :(

But at least I don't need to get a new pic as its on my passport so they use that....though that expires next year and they can use the one off the driving license and when the DL expires in another 10 I can use the passport pic again...….err

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M The Training Wing 3
A RLC 3
A Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs 2