What licence category were 4 tonners?

Not if its the old HGV 3 7.5t only
Aye, the new category for a (mini) HGV 3 (over 3.5T and under 7.5 T) is now a 'C1' licence, it's a bit pointless really, as it costs the same to take category 'C' test which will allow you to drive a 2 axle rigid body up to 32T. (And the cat 'C' driving test lorry is only going to be slightly bigger than a C1.)

Seem to remember you could drive a 4 tonner and trailer on a class 3 licence. Then someone decided that a class 1 was needed. Am I right on that one?
I drove a box-body Commer ERV when I was in 7 Field Workshop in Fally in 1976. It usually towed a 4-wheel trailer with a 271/2 KVa genny.

Aye, the new category for a (mini) HGV 3 (over 3.5T and under 7.5 T) is now a 'C1' licence, it's a bit pointless really, as it costs the same to take category 'C' test which will allow you to drive a 2 axle rigid body up to 32T. (And the cat 'C' driving test lorry is only going to be slightly bigger than a C1.)
didn't the DAFs get a driver training mod that added a couple of foot of extension to the length to make it a C vehicle? I don't think that the MoD have ever bothered with C1.

didn't the DAFs get a driver training mod that added a couple of foot of extension to the length to make it a C vehicle? I don't think that the MoD have ever bothered with C1.
The MoD have all sorts of exemptions so it wouldn't surprise me. Cat C1 is pretty much for peeps who want to drive supermarket delivery vans and small horseboxes. It wouldn't surprise me if Cat C1 gets binned.

I heard that rumour as well. I also heard that the "Mojos" didn't pass a driving test for the Antars. Any truth?
They may have passed a driving test in some cases, but not many would have passed a breathalyser test! :smile:

Seem to remember you could drive a 4 tonner and trailer on a class 3 licence. Then someone decided that a class 1 was needed. Am I right on that one?
With grandfather HGV 3 rights, you got LGV C+E Restriction 2.

Yes that's right,I got my my class 3 on a ley daf with the extension.
Certainly in the civvy world,the wagons also now have a load on the back instead of being empty.

Apols. Bad typing. 27.5 KVA (usually referred to as the "twenty seven and a half kva" genny (or Meadows genny))
No worries mate, I had one at 10 Sigs , please tell me why I can remember the bloody number of the trailer, 69BM01, and the frame number of the set B2189, its been 45 years, how is this possible?, when I cannot remember where I left my dam car keys today. Oh, and my Bedford RL that towed it was 27EP19.

Reading this thread made me think that the last time I hired a van the bloke told me that my old paper licence was in such a tatty state that it needed renewing as some of the info on it was unreadable.

I looked up the gov site to renew it and dutifully filled out the form.
I may have lost the plot but I remember paying a one off fee to the dvla of about a fiver back in the mists of time that ensured I would never have to pay for another renewal.
Does anyone else remember this?
Because after spending twenty minutes or so filling out the form the robbing b*stards wanted twenty quid off of me.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I am keeping my paper licence, its will last me out, the new card type ones need renewing every 10 years or something like that
you have to watch when they renew your licence, DVLA have in the past managed to lose some qualifications when updating them
good advice is to get a high res scan of it before sending it away
my Civilian Licence covers me for up to 7.5 tonnes GVW, but it must be at least 20 years since i last drove one
also minibus and trailer I think, plus me motorbike

I still have one of the old paper only driving licences. Still perfectly legal until such time as your details change. Not sure about older small red book type.

Its all so confusing.
Not so long ago they stated that you still needed the paper version along with the new photocard.
Now they only issue photocards.
I will feel mugged off if I pay twenty quid for something that I am sure I paid for years ago.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs 2
quiller The Intelligence Cell 46
E Current Affairs, News and Analysis 3