What licence category were 4 tonners?

HGV3 Whatever that means now. Can't remember what the Bedford RL was though.

HGV3 Whatever that means now. Can't remember what the Bedford RL was though.

All HGV 3
It was the weight to take it into HGV and axles to take it into class
3 Axles was C;lass 2
Artic Class 1
RL would have been class 3 as it would have been 7 tones when loaded

Ah, Cheers Mr. Boots/Syrup

It used to be on my old paper licence, not on the most recent one - is it time sensitive?

How old are you
You need a medical at 45 to renew your LGV / HGV licence.

The Bedford RL was originally designated as a "3 ton GS" and could be driven on a standard car licence..

At some point in the late 60s it magically became a "4 ton GS" and required a higher grade licence. The story was that the military had lied about the axle weight when the RL was first introduced so that they could keep using their civvy drivers.. (mil drivers did not need a licence at that time!) although this may be bolloux!

The Bedford RL was originally designated as a "3 ton GS" and could be driven on a standard car licence..

At some point in the late 60s it magically became a "4 ton GS" and required a higher grade licence. The story was that the military had lied about the axle weight when the RL was first introduced so that they could keep using their civvy drivers.. (mil drivers did not need a licence at that time!) although this may be bolloux!
I heard that rumour as well. I also heard that the "Mojos" didn't pass a driving test for the Antars. Any truth?

Pre Feb 1970 there wasn't an HGV license to hold
If you could provide evidence you had been driving Heavy Goods Vehicles for 6 months you gained Grandfather rights and automatically got the HGV.

As above. IIRC Bedford TKs were civi car licence. MKs were HGV 3/LGV C. However, the Military said you needed an HGV licence for the TKs. A bit like now (or at least a couple of years ago) needing an LGV licence to drive WMIK/MWMIK.

Wasn't the RL originally a 3 ton(ner) but the back springs were later beefed up to carry a bit more. This happened at the time of metrification, resulting in the 4 tonne(r).

That's what I was told in 1975.

Wasn't the RL originally a 3 ton(ner) but the back springs were later beefed up to carry a bit more. This happened at the time of metrification, resulting in the 4 tonne(r).

That's what I was told in 1975.
AFAIK They were always 4 Ton (3992 KG)the Army down rated them to 3 Ton.
Then they were simply re-rated with out any work needed

From the archives, 1962:
Image (41).jpg

The empty weight is well over 4 tons.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs 2
quiller The Intelligence Cell 46
E Current Affairs, News and Analysis 3