What laptop

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by ark-angel, Oct 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Need to get a lappy for the wife to do some work on and to play the odd game with. Now im pretty good with the ol' desktop but know nowt about laptop graphics just that the Intel 4500 series just about cracks Left 4 Dead at low settings. so i was wondering if any one has a good suggestion to let me know. The only thing is the screen is preferably 13.3 inch.
  2. The gaming part is the issue and will bump up what you want to spend.

Stay away from the Intel graphics for starters.

Use this site to compare notebook GFX, that way you will know what performance to expect.

As for branding I find Dell are the best performers as I have had a couple of Acers that didnt quite deliver and ended up burning out once the gaming side was used a fair bit.
  3. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

you'll be lucky to find one that size with a decent graphic chip - plus you'll be paying a premium for it. has it *got* to be a lappy?
  4. Thanks. She is a fussy cnut.
  5. Well she aint gonna sit in bed with my water cooled rig on here lap is she. The only saving grace about the small size is the low resolution for the screen so i know a 4500 might just handle some games.
  6. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

then you're going to be limited by choice and asked to pay well over the odds. I'd start by having a look at Morgan's current offers.
  7. Looked at morgan, thought a bit shite too be honest. Probably end up getting nothing and buying a notepad and paper... Choosy cow.
  8. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

no wah, thought about the mainstream suspects? pc world, currys etc? as long as you do your homework first you can find some good deals. (my current desktop came from PC world - as much as I've slagged them over the years, checked the specification online and the stock, then went to the local branch and picked it straight up. got a few quid knocked off for cash and a decent set of speakers thrown in and all.)
  9. hmm, if she specified 13.3 inch then maybe shes after a macbook?

the graphics are not to bad, mine plays C&C without too many problems.
  10. Did look at the mac today...

Fucin How Much :omfg: Nicely put together and such but if one more of those smug little cunts came up to me and started spouting the party line of how much the Mac can make your life so much better than a PC with windows i was going to shove it up his arrse. Soon got em to be quiet when i asked about upgrading the Gfx card and water cooling. Thought i was mad and he soon disappeared. Nice in that shiny alluminium case though.
  11. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

how the cnuting fcuk mac can seriously charge £80 for a bog standard dvd writer as an upgrade with a straight face is beyond me. I have a quad core Windows system here that cost me less than £800 - the equivalent mac is *still* well over three grand... how they can justify it is beyond me.

and for all the IT types (of which I am peripherally one) who keep telling me that they 'just work' and you're paying the extra two and a half grand for the supposed lack of faff and having to tweak - bollcoks. I'll keep the two and a half grand thanks.
  12. I would go for the Mac personally. It runs most games great, apart from the high end ones. But only geeks play them. In terms of cost you do really get what you pay for. A windows PC running the same mac spec will run programs a lot slower than on a mac. I use Photoshop and Final Cut to do photo and video editing on my 13" Macbook and it does it swimmingly. There is no need for a Quad core processor to do that or anything else at the home user level so to me it seems fair for Apple to put them only in their Mac Pro's, which are expensive for a number of reasons not just because of their processors.

Edited to add:

I will admit though that their upgrade prices are steep. I would never buy a dvd drive, RAM or a HDD from them. Way too hefty an Apple tax
  13. Tell the idle cow to get out of bed and use your existing rig....

failing that, get a monitor remoted in to the bedroom, along with anything else she needs.

The computer stays where it is all water cooled and taht, only the human interfaces need to in the bed room.

Get a media keyboard (wireless, mouse imbedded) and a good LCD TV with computer connection.

And there you go.

You could even build a PC for the bedroom, just strip out what it doesn't need, focus it on sound and graphics, and load it with films to boot.

or fit a BD player.
  14. feck it, buy a ps3 for the bedroom, get the keyboard, sorted!
  15. Have a look at Staples.
    They are doing some great bargains at the moment.