• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

What language is this?

bigjarofwasps said:
Darth the full wording is

Miss E W Ashley

Polsey Pagenci

Jhin 7.42

34 C.g.H

Any ideas?
Jhin is the name of a town in Nepal.
Polsey googles as a Family name and not much else.
Pagenci returns lots of matches with a medical body PageNCI but not much else.

7.42 maybe is July 1942?

bigjarofwasps said:
polsey pagenci

Can anyone tell me what language this is, or better stiil what the hell it means!!!!!!!!
Here's an outside possiblity. It could be 'polish patients' or 'from the polish patients'. Was she a nurse perhaps?

Polskay = polsey perhaps? Drop the k and

Pagneci looks like the Polish plural for patients--pacjenci--as in medical type.

A bit odd though since Polish is in the latin alphabet already. Maybe the engraver misspelt or could be a sort of slang. Or I'm just wrong. That's all I got.

I nearly fell into the polish trap too, but went for the TLA clue instead.

C.G.H. could be Changi General Hospital (Singapore) or Cape of Good Hope.

If Changi, the polsey pagenci could be an anglicised equivalent of an asian language (though it doesn't really sound like it) or perhaps Tagalog? I wouldn't put much store in the spelling (making web searches a bit more difficult) as I suspect the engraver was not fully au fait with English (hence the lower case "g" in C.g.H. (or it could be that BJOW commited a typo). (Lucky he didn't pick BigJarofBees as a username - :) )

Jhin seems to also be a Hindi word and there are other googled references that come up in Chinese/Japanese? characters.

It probably isn't beyond the bounds of probability that there were Polish patients at Changi General Hospital, though as Singapore fell in February 1942, I can't see that having a compact engraved (in June/July?) would be at the top of someone's priorities.

edited following more reading:

In the context of Singapore, CGH would actually be Civil General Hospital, rather than Changi

I googled CGH and found the hospital as well BUT when I check their website they have only been around since the 50's which put the date out of context with our earlier thoughts.

If this metal box is old, it might be possible to identify the hallmarks (if silver) and at least geographically place where it was made... E Europe (Yiddish/Polish) or SE Asain - C.g.H.

Editted to add no trace of this lady on the Common Wealth War Graves Commision website.

Might it be an address? Where the map to find the treasure is located under the floor of the garden shed.

Mongolian perhaps? I've tried it in a dozen search engines and come up with nothing on polsey pagenci. I've also shown it to a colleague who is polish and it means nothing to him.

C.g.H. Is the 'g' deliberately in lower case?

Latest Threads