What language do they speak in Afghanistan???

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by posttopeters, Jul 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right, I didn't know where to put this thread, so screw it, it can go in this one.

I am hoping to be in the army and out to Afghanistan soon. I want to be able to speak to them without an interpretor. Before you try telling me that it will take too much time and too much hard work, I am a language student! This is what I do!

I know that the two main languages in Afghanistan are Pashtu and Dari Persian, but which one would I be better off learning? Any input from someone that has had any language experience out there, would be awesome.

2. How soon? Tea time?
  3. Mainly Brummie.
  4. Clearly not the sharpest tool in the box. Stick to drinking cheap swally in the student bar
  5. Durka durka.
  6. Pashto in the south (Helmand, Kandahar)

Dari in the north (Kabul)

Yes, there are other provinces but HM Forces don't tend to go there.

Where you are going determines which lingo you should learn.

Bearing in mind courses take 18 months I wish you the best of luck.
  7. That said, would a Dari course lead to a liaison role with the (I think) largely Tajik ANA?
  8. It seems to depend on what country the bastards are from of late, learn everything then your sorted
  9. Wot he said.

ANA tend to be mostly Dari speakers.
  11. Suggest you PM ' charlie_cong' of this site who is doing a bit of both in places faraway.
  12. It also helps if you teach salsa.

Better take some lessons on that too and bluff your way with the rest.
  13. Do you add basil to yours?
  14. Pesto or Pashtu
  15. I thought this was languages not the guest list.