What language do they speak in Afghanistan???

Right, I didn't know where to put this thread, so screw it, it can go in this one.

I am hoping to be in the army and out to Afghanistan soon. I want to be able to speak to them without an interpretor. Before you try telling me that it will take too much time and too much hard work, I am a language student! This is what I do!

I know that the two main languages in Afghanistan are Pashtu and Dari Persian, but which one would I be better off learning? Any input from someone that has had any language experience out there, would be awesome.

Cheers.

posttopeters said:
Right, I didn't know where to put this thread, so screw it, it can go in this one.

I am hoping to be in the army and out to Afghanistan soon. I want to be able to speak to them without an interpretor. Before you try telling me that it will take too much time and too much hard work, I am a language student! This is what I do!

I know that the two main languages in Afghanistan are Pashtu and Dari Persian, but which one would I be better off learning? Any input from someone that has had any language experience out there, would be awesome.

Cheers.
Mainly Brummie.

Pashto in the south (Helmand, Kandahar)

Dari in the north (Kabul)

Yes, there are other provinces but HM Forces don't tend to go there.

Where you are going determines which lingo you should learn.

Bearing in mind courses take 18 months I wish you the best of luck.

tearsbeforebedtime said:
Pashto in the south (Helmand, Kandahar)

Dari in the north (Kabul)
That said, would a Dari course lead to a liaison role with the (I think) largely Tajik ANA?

It seems to depend on what country the bastards are from of late, learn everything then your sorted

Suggest you PM ' charlie_cong' of this site who is doing a bit of both in places faraway.

It also helps if you teach salsa.

Better take some lessons on that too and bluff your way with the rest.

vvaannmmaann said:
whitecity said:
It also helps if you teach salsa.

Better take some lessons on that too and bluff your way with the rest.
Do you add basil to yours?
I thought this was languages not the guest list.

The problem with Afghanistan is that it is not - and never has been - a cohesive country. In the 19th Century is was basically a buffer zone between the Russian and British Empires. There are dozens of languages spoken there. The main two are Dari which is really Farsi (spoken in Iran to the West) - and Pashtu (spoken in Frontier Province, Pakistan, to the East and South).
Luckily, I have not visited Afghanistan for nearly 30 years. In those days there were lots of road blocks manned by the scruffiest most villainous-looking soldiers I have ever seen They all spoke English - at least the following 5 words "You give me 50 Afs".

johno2499 said:
Luckily, I have not visited Afghanistan for nearly 30 years.
Hey don't tell me you did the hippy trail ? A famous that started off in Kathmandu and finished in Istanbul . In those you could travel the world on one weeks befit money . How times change :cry:

No mate. I never was a hippy. I worked in Islamabad.

I suggest to learn local sayings. The Tajiks (2d largests ethnical group in Afghanistan) have a saying:

A guest is welcomed only first 3 days.

Has anyone seen the Russian film 9th Company ?

I'm just curious if it's true that an Afghan can't kill anyone in their home or if it's BS ?

Of course even if it's true an Afghan can just drag his guest out of his house and skin him alive