What kit have you been made to buy

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by ugly, Apr 7, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I was arm twisted into buying a couple of falklands tour sweat shirts on the day we left through accro. I kicked up a fuss and was told my 4 month tour would be hell if I didnt, usual crap about team photos etc. So I bought them and cut of the sleeves in front of everyone. Gasps of shock and horror, so thy're mine arent they?
    Travelling in the baggage truck was my punishment but so what? I didnt mind the green puttees or stable belt. Maybe i should have refused ut as a sprog what do you know. We even had to buy our own regtl belts for No2 dress and the rifle slings to go with them. What a con!
  2. Good point actually.

If the firm wont provide it, should we buy it ourselves. No IMHO.

If you need it/are supposed to have it, then it should be on your 1157.

Remember, it's your money at the end of the day, and no one can force you to spend your hard earnt cash on shi*e.
  3. PS. Who ever did the arm twisting clearly has no idea how much you get payed, or waht you financial outgoings are.
  4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Problem is they claim we must be in uniform on parade. So why as a boy was I made to buy plastic sling for SLR and plastic belt for No2s admittedly in Bn I would stand out in belt green plastic crap on my SD but as a £6.05 a day 16 year old in Scottish & Lt Div coy no one looked the same! It was also the time in my career (Right word?) when I had the least money spare.
    The unit should provide the stuff they require you to wear. None of the jocks paid for their kilts, brogues or spats, admittedly they all bought better tailored TOS as the issued sand bag was grim. We were discriminated against and I feel a (spoof) claim for stress to the MOD coming on!
  5. When I joned basic we were told that due to a backlog there no uniforms for 2 weeks, so instead we would wear regimental tracksuits, which of course we had to buy.

3 days in them they started to stink and as if by magic our uniforms appeared

Other things ? Stable belts is always a classic and I remember a Q trying his best toget us to buy chest rigs for NI, the days before issue, even tried to get them adopted as dress policy, but that wouldn't wash.

Funniest thing I had to buy though was and flint a steel for my survival kit, we were warned with orders if we did't carry one for a ATD ex, we even had spot flint and steel inspections.

Anyway come the competition, pre-training phase, a sandy beretted survival expert was brought in to give us a bit of training, he promptly whipped out a flint and steel and asked if anyone carrys one, que smug faces on the hierarcy as everyone stuck there hands up. To which he whips out the gayest pink disposable Bic lighter and says "I carry this, a hundred lights and when the fuel runs out a working flint" Oh how we laughed as he then continued to attack the "Old Salt" mentality of senior ranks
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I'd forgotten about the tracksuits. So thats Track suits, stable belts, different coloured puttees, No2 dress belt, Plastic slr sling, tour sweat and T shirts (lost count) thats before any go faster gucci sas style field kit. What robbing gits no wonder I always ran out of beer tokens before payday! Oh yes snow queen the army free skiing training. Free my ass that was 250 DM.
  7. Stable belts t shirts the rest i brought of my own violation mug :roll:
  8. freudian slip there I think - you feel violated :lol:
  9. TRFs, Sandhurst tracksuit, RCT stable belt, then an RLC one which opened at the front, then one that opened at the side a few years later......

The worst one was desert combats. No-one told me to buy them exactly: I deployed by BA 747 with a weight restriction (all green kit got dumped)with one set in early Jan and the promise of " you'll get them in theatre" never happened. Wearing a pair and washing them every night was becomeing a strain, so I emailed Silvermans and got another 2 sets in a matter of days!
  10. Some gucci kit some necesary like waterproofs ,bivi bag when they werent issused oh and a bunch of stuff which i broke lost or decided
    didnt need and so lies in the shed :lol: though now i cant think of any more kit
    to buy .
  11. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Tack suit, stable belt and now bloody TRFs.
  12. Name tapes for my c95

I know who I am !!!
  13. Underpants.
  14. Bivi bag and Gortex waterproofs-(kept me warm and dry
    so I'm not grumbling about the cost)

Sweatshirts, stable belt,
    Beret cos the issued one was like a bin liner
  15. Dirt_Diver

Dirt_Diver LE Moderator

track suit... which was ceremoniously burnt at the end of basic trainning :twisted:

battery T-shirts (lots of... f ucking pikey BK's)

and regimental T-shirts too (f ucking pikey RSM/2ic/CO/the rest of RHQ).