What Job? RE C3 Systems or RA UAV operator?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by musiclifesoul, Aug 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi
    I am in the process of joining up, i have cut my job choices down to these 2 but i am struggling to find out which one would be best for me.

I am looking to do something that i would be able to get a good job out of the army but have a good role within the army.

any help would be much appreciated.
  2. best bet is just to review the roles as much as possible on the websites with the job description and then run your ideas by your recruiter. I hear UAV regiments are short of a few recruits these days...
  3. They're both good trades.

Everything seems to be going automated, especially aircraft, so you'll have a job for life in the Army with the UAV role.

What do you want to do? What can you see yourself doing in 5-10 years time?
  4. Joining the Army with a view to getting transferable skills is a bit short sighted and possibly negative (from the Army's point of view) - it means you want to leave soon and you're not even in yet!

All Army jobs now have some transferable skill and you will be taught things that can be transfered into Civvi qualifications. If however you want a trade that will give you a real skill (i.e. doing RLC driver, getting HGV licence etc), then alot of Army trades are not directly transferable.

As someone above stated, what tdo you want to do? 4 years in and then a civvi life? What as? What civvi job do you want and when? The longer you stay in, the more experience you gain in the Army and the more leadership and management skills you develop.
  5. I have to say, I started joining the army and picking jobs with a sight to how they will stand up on civvy street, but I've already had some great jobs where I gained skills and experience that will get me back doing those jobs if I so wish.So I'll join the army without a thought to when I'm going to leave.

You should keep your mind open in such a way that the army is your new life and anything before and after is no longer relevant. Although thats probably a little short sighted in some peoples views,I think it'll be of benefit to you to disassociate yourself from certain things that may lead you to dropping out because the easy life of civvy street will be appealing to you during a beasting. Keep your mind focused on what you want to gain from it and let the pieces fall where they may.

*edited for mong spelling*