What job is best for me?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Path, Jan 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm going through the process of joining the Regular Army, just handed in my medical forms to my local Army careers office today, and I'm considering the various job options available to me.

I've taken my BARB and been given my job options (I'm not going to list them all, there were a few) and at the moment I'm looking primarily at either Metalsmith (REME), Ammunition Technician (RLC), Operator Military Intelligence (IC) or Military Police (AGC) but I'm having trouble deciding.

Perhaps I should play it safe(?) and go with something like Carpenter And Joiner (RE), Electrician (RE/REME/RS) or Heating And Plumbing Engineer (RE), something that has transferable skills. I'm not ruling out other jobs, those four I listed at first are just what caught my eye and/or were recommended to me by the Sargent down at the careers office.

The only thing I don't want to do is something that involves sitting behind a desk for any length of time. I like working with my hands, I'm good with my hands.

What do you think I should pursue?
  2. I think you answered your own question :)
  3. Stay with the Royal Engineer jobs if you want hands-on and a trade!

4. Did I?

Okay, maybe I lied a bit: I don't mind doing some paper work just as long as it's not most of the time. I don't just want to settle for a trade job when maybe there's something more challenging and interesting I could be doing instead. Not that I'm suggesting things like Electrician are easy.

What I really want to know is how hands on are jobs like Metalsmith (REME), Ammunition Technician (RLC), Operator Military Intelligence (IC) or Military Police (AGC)? They sound interesting and I want to get more information on them, get some advice from people who either doing them or know someone doing them and I reckon this is the best place to ask (correct me if I'm wrong). Of course I've got information from the website, brochures and wrung out what I can from the Sgt at the office but it would be nice to talk to someone with first or even second hand knowledge.
  5. mate i dont know that much about them-- just got the Intel Corps brochure that was available down at the Dundee AFCO...
    I know that consists of behind the desk stuff primarily but you do go outside the wire, outside the FOB.
    Personally I intend to go for the Intel Corps, and if you want a good steady government job guaranteed after your service, you can't go wrong with the Intel Corps.

But seems like your interests are wide-ranging. If you reckon a good trade like carpenter is good for you (after all, you could work for people outside the government) go with that.
    Keep in mind that Intel Corps gets High Band pay and automatic promotion to LCpl after Advanced Training.