What items are stocked in a First Aider Trauma Pack ?

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by mad4thcef, Aug 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wanting to know what items are stocked in the Pouch Medical First Aider Trauma Pack NSN 8485-99-978-4567.

Also want to know where items are placed inside trauma pouch.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

2. Not sure if we're talking about the same pouch, but I had roughly the following when I got pinged to be IC-Sticky Plasters.

2 x Hemcon
    2 x FFD (New style)
    1 x CAT
    2 x Triangular Bandage
    1 x Morphine
    1 x Tough Cut scisors
    3 x Gloves, Pair
    1 x Suction easy
    1 x Resuss Mask
    1 x Permanent Marker
    1 x Pencil
    3 x Handover Tags (Set)

As for what goes where, I wasn't given any guidance, so I did it as follows.
    CAT and hemcon are useless if not applied in seconds-few, so they go near the top. No time to look for them. Triangular bandage goes near the bottom for converse reasons.
    The way I did it, I had the front pouch for bleeding injuries, and the rear pouch for everything else.
  3. Thanx for the info !

I know what everything is except the FFD abbreviation.

Could you give me the the long form please!

Thanx in advance

4. First Feild Dressing. A wound dressing (approx 12cm square) pre-attached to a bandage.

The old ones were beige, the newer ones in the green wrappers are elasticated to place the wound under pressure.

I'm not sure if the new ones are actually called First Feild Dressings, they might be 'Dressing, Pressure, Large' but to everyone I know, they're FFDs.
  5. The new style FFD is titled "The emergency bandage" and comes in a dark green sterile bag. Unlike the old style ones (The ones that come in the old sand coloured packages) they are designed to primarily apply more pressure and have less absorbency. During my team medic course I was encouraged to get hold of one of both if I could for my pack, put the newer one over the wound and if it pisses through, apply the older style one over the top.

It's always good to have as many additions as you can to the "basic" contents of your team medic pouch. Extra bits and bobs are always good, and have lots of minor injury treatments as well such as plasters, etc. A good medic will often carry two.

It's up to you where you carry what in the pouch, as I remember there is a set place for everything but really it's up to you. Just make sure things like spare CAT's, Hemcon, FFD's and other immediate haemorrhage control are near the top if not carried on your person.
  6. Have a look on TDOL viewer on Intranet and you can get the CES for the pack, which will contain all the relivent NSN's for the individual Items
  7. While we're on the topic, a few miscelanious kit tips.

During kit preparation, kneed the Hemcon packets to break up any stiffness. This means that when used the dressings are more flexible.

Partially tear the wrappers of all kit, to ensure they open quickly. We were told to remove the green wrappers from the Emergency Bandages completely. In the trade off between speed and sterility, I was tought to favour speed, though not all medics agree with this.

Make sure your nyrex folder, or wherever you keep your notes has a few blank MIST handover sheets to save time.
  8. Thanx for the info FFD in our army its just plain field dressing. () Why do they alsways make up new abbreviation?

I served with a medical coy and I know first hand most of the medic bags were just packed with field dressings.

I know first hand how pressure dressings absorb a lot blood especially when its a bad wound! You can never have too many FD's

Most soldiers carry 2 FD's

Cheers to all who contributed !
  9. I was always taught that sterility is top priority. Although I agree with you, speed really is the main thing. No use putting a sterile bandage on if he's p*ssed all his blood out.
  10. I encountered both views. The chap who favoured speed was the Instructor. His view was that the wound itself is going to be full of shite from whatever caused it, and was going to be cleaned anyway once the casualty reaches the feild hospital.
  11. For some reason, I'd never really considered that before!
    However, seeing pics of blokes wading chest deep irrigation ditches, I still think I'd prefer a dry dressing. Worth making the nicks in the packets a bit deeper as a compromise?
  12. Good point well presented. I'd somehow managed to repress the memory of the rivers of poo, where streets should have been. Suddenly it all comes flooding back (geddit?).
  13. and these that some have forgotton

rubber gloves x 4
    22 in wound dressing plastic x 2
    spensers x 4
    hydro pack x 2
    J S dressing first aid 10cm x19 x 10
    ditto 20 x 19 x 10
    plaster roll x2
    cellulose dressing (strip) x 4
    swabs x 4 pack x 3
    antiseptic alcohol wipes x 10
    resusci face shied x 2
    gauze bandage 10 x 12 x 8
    ditto x 12cm x 4
    triangular bandage x 4
    safety pins
    KY tube
    crepe bandage 4.5 x 10cm x 4
    and anything else you can snag "borrow" or find
  14. they did not have "hand over tags" when i was playing at it... so dont know what they are...
  15. looking at a photo and i see a "burns" bag set up i never opened that so i forgot now what was in that..