What is your favourite theatre of war when it comes to modelling?

Gents,
As the title of this thread says, what is your favourite theatre of war when it comes to modelling or even history for that matter?
For myself; I love the conflict in North Africa and Italy during WW2. As well as the battle of the Atlantic.
One of my next dioramas will involve an early Tiger Tank in Tunisia.
Over to you lovely people.

There were some Royal Signals birds who used to get their baps out on the roof of Maude House in Baghdad, until their modelling attracted too much helicopter attention.

For that reason alone, Iraq was my favourite theatre.

That would make an interesting diorama, I can't wait to see your efforts.
Easy to do, they only got their baps out so buy a couple of fresh buns turn em into egg banjos = Iconic Diorama.

Come to think of it, it would be sweet to see @Ho2331 build a North Africa Dio with a figure scoffing a banjo with the requisite egg spill down his KF and the wipe off. It's all in the details.

Last edited:
Easy to do, they only got their baps out so buy a couple of fresh buns turn em into egg banjos = Iconic Diorama.

Come to think of it, it would be sweet to see @Ho2331 build a North Africa Dio with a figure scoffing a banjo with the requisite egg spill down his KF and the wipe off. It's all in the details.
Er... Maybe you didn't realise that I'm still an amateur in the world of model making bud.

British Armour from day one, If had the space, I'd build one example of every armoured vehicle my Regiment has used over the years.
British armour from day one was often theatrical, particularly in the inter-war years, but I didn't think it was a theatre of war. Northern Europe (ie, north of the Alps) for me, with lots of geological and architectural variations available, no matter what period you're interested in.

British armour from day one was often theatrical, particularly in the inter-war years, but I didn't think it was a theatre of war. Northern Europe (ie, north of the Alps) for me, with lots of geological and architectural variations available, no matter what period you're interested in.
Okay... Okay, so I could have worded my initial post alot better.

IMG_20190425_170516.jpg

How's that, nice Vickers and that is the famous Percy Hobart of the Funnies fame.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
For myself; I love the conflict in North Africa and Italy during WW2. As well as the battle of the Atlantic.
One of my next dioramas will involve an early Tiger Tank in Tunisia.
Over to you lovely people.
Combine them.
Do one of an early Tiger tank three days west of Trafalgar.

....thread digression!

1557998522463.png

On Britmodeller someone posted a diorama called "Three tenths of a second before the music died " of a light aircraft about to plough into the ground. It was depicting the plane crash of Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, and the Big Bopper. Really well made, looked good. He got lambasted for being sick, showing a scee of horror, people about to die etc etc. I asked why were the keyboard warriors so aggressive in their dislike when they happily made dioramas of the nasty Hun tank going up in flames, the B17 releasing its load, the cowboy shooting the injun, the US marines about to ambush terrorists and of course U-boat stern sticking out of the water or Titanic going under. All human tragedy. Would it have been different if the Bonanza was a JU88 coming in to a corn field in Kent?

Anyway - Me - I model to relax and don't have much time so varied and many tastes. I like WWII desert and Europe possibly because teachers at school fought there and told us tales.....including frying eggs and the Normandy beaches. It was also a period of evolution from dubious Heath Robinson designed planes and tanks to efficient fighting machines. I enjoyed the Airfix 54mm Napoleonic figures (ah, the Polish Lancer was a great one!), WWI but I got annoyed with rigging. Modern stuff seems a little sterile.