What is wrong with my freezer?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by chocolate_frog, Jun 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all.

My freezer don't work.

Inside stays warm, no hint of coolness on the elements.

Outside stays warm, no real hint of warmth on the elements.

THe funny big ball thing at the bottom which I assume has some sort of motor in it, and the two sets of elements go in to, is red hot.

It buzzes loudly for a few minutes to start with then goes quiet.

Any ideas or should I just "mag to grid"?

2. Time for a new one, nothing worse then warm beer :D

3. Have you tried Googling the problem? I think you'll get the answer quicker.

4. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

If you don't mind, i'll give you a technical description of what is wrong:

It's fucked.

5. not sure but i would get rid,if you dont want to buy a brand new one look on http://www.freecycle.org/ once you join you can see if any are available.

6. Ahhh, I can see me recycling a lot of their stuff on ebay! ;)

7. Have you tried hitting it? Usually works...

Has the guarantee run out? I was pleasantly surprised recently to find that I still had 3 days to run on my washing machine guarantee when all of the insides packed up at once!

How old is the freezer? You could argue that with very few mechanical parts, it would be reasonable to expect a freezer to work for 10 years or more, and hence claim repairs/replacement from the manufacturer on the basis of the machine being below standard.

8. Sounds like your capacitor or relay or possibly the compressor is kaput.

dfficult to tell from this distance.......but your gonna be going to Currys/Dixons/etc, etc as it's probably cheaper to buy new.

hope it helps.

9. I know your a clever bloke frog but if youve had a few bevvies are you sure its not the microwave your looking at :?

What ever you do dont phone one of the help line call centres or they will be be reading off the script.

1. Is it out of the box.
    2. Does it have a plug.
    3. Is the plug in the plug socket.
    4. Do you have electricity in your house

etc..etc..etc..

I think Fugly's technical advice might be on the right lines though :idea:

Get shopping and expect another two appliances to fcuk up in the next few weeks, it normally happens that way :roll:

10. If you can't get the repair done free, DON'T just buy a new one. There's only one mechanical part in a freezer - the pump. There's one electronic part - the thermostat. There's one other thing that makes it work - the refrigerant.

Unless your freezer is really ancient, you'll probably be able to get a replacement for the faulty part. The most expensive item on the repair bill will be the call-out charge. I'd be surprised if you can't get it fixed for less than £100, and would expect it to be a lot less.

11. Aha! I had much the same happen to our freezer, choccie_frog. Try the following:

Locate the dermin, which you’ll see on top of the krang-arm leading into the grazpod as you’re looking down on it at a 37.4551-degree angle from the east. Unscrew it (making sure that you don’t disturb the sorgal fly-nut on the posidor) and carefully turn it upside down so that the inner wadrum is visible. If the wadrum moves easily against the germit just behind it, it means that there’s wear in the main roble bearing. All you have to do is pack it with a bit of newspaper, grease it copiously and you’re laughing. Reassemble and you should be fine.

Hope this helps. :D :D :D

MsG

12. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

In all seriousness, its the pump / motor thats given up. If it's still under warranty, your laughing. If not...

Unless you have:

a: A covenient white goods spares retailer nearby

and

b: The equipment / facilities to replace it yourself (you will be dealing with refridgerant, remember)

..then your only option is to replace it. As posted above, call-out and parts etc will cost you more than the price of a brand-new freezer.

All appliances nowadays aren't built to last forever - deliberately.

13. There made to last one year and one day, just after the warranty expires :roll:

14. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Yep. its just a matter of shorting out the chip that controls this!!

15. Ok diagnostic time.....
    if it does nothing....poss termostat fault..bridge connecting wires to check.

if it try's to start....thermostat ok

if it runs ok and stays warm.......refigerant (R134 prob) needs recharge.

if it try's to start.."runs" for 5-20seconds and then stops..more than likley electric pack gone. may be cheap to replace but not with callout charge etc

if the thing just dies after trying to start compressor probably down to earth.

your looking at the WARRANTY FAIRY, if not it's OPEN WALLET THERAPY.

ring a local regas/refridgeration co to see if they "will have a look" for nowt.