What is wrong with my freezer?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by chocolate_frog, Jun 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all.

My freezer don't work.

Inside stays warm, no hint of coolness on the elements.

Outside stays warm, no real hint of warmth on the elements.

THe funny big ball thing at the bottom which I assume has some sort of motor in it, and the two sets of elements go in to, is red hot.

It buzzes loudly for a few minutes to start with then goes quiet.

Any ideas or should I just "mag to grid"?

2. The funny ball thing has a single cylinder compresser and motor in it. The motor has two winding in it, starting winding and running winding. When the motor is starting the current sensing switch in the black plastic box on the side of the funny ball shaped thing switches the starting winding and the starting capacitor into circuit for a few seconds, motor starts, current drops causing the current sensing switch to turn off the start winding and start capacitor. Motor continues to run on the running winding.
    If the start capacitor is f*ck*d the motor will try and start but won't be able to, the current will stay high so the current sensing switch won't turn off and the thing will heat up untill the thermal switch (also in the black box on the side) decides that enough is enough and swiches the power off untill things cool down. Once it's cooled a bit it tries to start again..... etc. etc.
    It could also be mechanical failure of the pump/motor but these things are very robust and normally outlive the rest of the freezer, so it'd be worth trying a start capacitor as they are cheap or can be robbed off a scrap fridge dumped beside the road. Pretty much any fridge/freezer start cap. will work on any fridge freezer. If that doesn't sort it out, it's probably skip time..
    Cheers,

Scunner

3. Do the manly thing. Buy a new one.

4. ...plug it into the sockety thing on the wall...

5. DONE THIS A FEW TIMES WITH DIFFERENT FRIDGES AND FREEZERS AND IT'S NEVER FAILED :D
    The bit where you turn the temp up and down is where the thermostat is kept. It is usually the first thing to go on fridges/freezers. undo it and make a note of where the wires went (pen and paper required)
    Oh kak did I remember to say unplug from the mains first....are you still there....good :wink:
    Make a note of your make and model number the mod plate is sometimes behind the salad crisper section at the bottom if it is a fridge or on the back. go to the website e spares .com and search for your part there. You can also google the thermostat part number they are nearly all made by ranco these days and some of the part numbers change but espares has a phone number and they are fairly helpful as long as you know all the names and model numbers. couple of days in the post and then you can fit it it is no harder than wiring a plug but if you kill yourself don't come running to me.
    If it don't work you have only wasted about a tenner if it does work you can the strut around for about a week claiming "I saved a load of cash" :roll:

6. swift kick if that dont work, toss it out the window and get a new one for £200 is it really worth messing with an old one.
    ps did you defrost it with a screwdriver or knife in the last few days? :roll:

7. Given the symptoms you describe, I would recomment the following:-

1 Remove your wife's lifeless corpse from the freezer
    2 Dispose of same in an environmentally friendly manner
    3 Defrost and thoroughly clean freezer
    4 Switch on and hope for the best

Despite what you see on telly, domestic freezers really aren't up to dealing with a human body. While DIY can save you money in the short term, it's always best to engage a professional hit man when bumping off a spouse. Any reputable assasin will clean up afterwards and dispose of the body.

8. the last one I changed the thermostat on was over 10 years old and afterwards it worked like a new one. I would say that is worth it.
    fridges are a difficult recyclable item so if you can give one a new lease of life that helps the environment. Is that worth it. :?

9. Be careful though - waste disposal regulations are pretty strict and you could get into all kinds of trouble with the local council.

10. I've consulted an ex-REME colleague and his expert opinion was "Sounds like it's f*cked".

Have you tried Tool, Fine Adjusting?

11. Being REME myself-i'd tw@t it with a variable pressure applicator. Ideally the largest one you can find.

12. Yes, and if it is fcuked, there are some lovely areas near merthyr that are just crying out for knacked fridges (there are some spaces left, really).

13. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Whilst I entirely agree with your sentiment, you may want to weigh the cost of new machine / recycling old machine with the energy savings involved over the total life of the new freezer compared with the ten-year-old technolgy in the old one.

My freezer is some 25 years old (fridge about 22, same age as my children: fridge was an issued pad item in the BRD but not UKLF). They are both running strong. If either fails I'll have no hesitation in buying a new, more efficient replacement, but while they work, I shan't.

At ten years, the whole-of-life pro and cons of replacing your freezer strike me as being marginal either way. But it's something to think about.

Likewise my printer has become difficult to restart after refilling / replacing the ink cartidges once too often. Considering the cost of the printer and the cost of the new refills it came with, and non-OEM replacements / refills which have replaced them, I figure I have had my money's worth from the printer. (I once did a calculation on a simple non-wireless / non-Ethernet printer and determined that after two refills with non-OEM cartridges, or manual cartridge refills, after deducting the value of the cartridges which came in the box, it was no more expensive to replace the printer with the latest technology than to carry on using the old one. The manufacterers virtually give away the hardware to make their money getting you to buy genuine refills.

And cars. I could buy a new car and save money by getting better mileage per gallon, but because this one is 13 years old and running perfectly well (touch wood), by not buying a new car every two years, six new cars have not been built for me: think of the energy saved by not building those cars. A slightly worse mileage per gallon is a fair trade-off IMCO. If everybody ran their car into the ground (admittedly, like most squaddies do out of necessity), think of the benfits to the environment.

It goes on and on. But I fell better for having written this.

14. [quote="AlienFTM]And cars. I could buy a new car and save money by getting better mileage per gallon, but because this one is 13 years old and running perfectly well (touch wood), by not buying a new car every two years, six new cars have not been built for me: think of the energy saved by not building those cars. A slightly worse mileage per gallon is a fair trade-off IMCO. If everybody ran their car into the ground (admittedly, like most squaddies do out of necessity), think of the benfits to the environment.[/quote]
    Wow Alien, I'm impressed - you get your cars built (or not according to your whim/state of present car) for you :worship:

As to running my car into the ground, the last time that happened was when I took it over the knife-edge after a party :twisted:
    ... didn't realise I was being environmentally friendly at the time (must be an innate gift) ;-)

15. Technically speaking-it's fucked