what is /was

You've gone from:

To

So, you've gone from sneaky-beakys being sent in to slot the enemies of her maj to soldiers will return fire when attacked.

Well, no shit sherlock, you'll have this one wrapped up before the tea is cold.
Aha! Now I finally get an idea about what is getting you so prissy.

You read into a simple statement I made some weird shit that I did not say. Look matey if your reading comprehension levels aren't up to speed I can recommend some remedial classes for you.

You do a nice line in bluster, I'll give you that.

That you have never served in uniform is (unless you can argue otherwise) patently obvious: 'Let us in on the vast trove of classified information that only you are privy to.' Do you really think that I (or any one) would parade any information that we may have been privy to across a public forum, no matter how old it may be?

' . . . my original assertion that the SAS had no compunction about killing IRA operatives as and when they saw fit.'

And that absence of background is writ large by the above statement: those actions-the pulling of the triggers-would have been the final act of a long, long trail of decision making.

You have proved nothing and nor will you.

Though you you could have a go at writing FACT at the end of the sentence, I suppose.
Oh but you, you were there, on the balcony were you? Number 957 perhaps? Do you wear the regimental tie to impress Doreen?

I have proved what I stated from the start: the SAS had no compunction in killing IRA personnel when deployed on operations. That those operations were in conjunction with many other elements of the security forces is of no relevance, in any shape or form, to the point I made.

You have not proved otherwise and cannot do so, no matter how much you want to imply that you have some great inside knowledge that you really can't disclose.

You better get that pint from Doreen now. Don't forget to do the 1,000 yard stare as she pours it, you know how that impresses her (you weren't theerrree man!)

Aha! Now I finally get an idea about what is getting you so prissy.

You read into a simple statement I made some weird shit that I did not say. Look matey if your reading comprehension levels aren't up to speed I can recommend some remedial classes for you.
Sure, playground level insults. That makes your argument much stronger.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
What is your point? Is it relevant to the point I made?

Please make your point nice and clearly and I can determine what it is you are getting at. Enough with the cryptic non sequiturs, get to the fecking point so I can work out why you have your y-fronts in such a tangle.
I wish to know the size of this "East Tyrone PIRA unit" you mention, which is why I asked, "How large was your "East Tyrone PIRA unit" ?"

As far as I can see from the way people are posting on this thread, the only one getting worked up is yourself.
You see things that really aren't there and avoid questions posed.

I suggest you take a step back, have a brew and return to the discussion calmly.

Oh, you'd best bring a cloth, I think some of the questions people have asked were hidden from your view beneath the layer of rage-laden spittle across your screen.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Friday has obviously come early and ambushed me. Also, I've run out of popcorn.

I have an extended family member who worked in Northern Ireland for a certain governmental agency and spent time, amongst other things, keeping an eye on certain naughty boys. His job was to observe and collect information, often in highly dangerous situations. Of course, the media view of what he was there to do and who he was working for probably has him driving an Aston Martin and engaging in firefights on skis or something.
Was he a Taxman?

BopBopBop

War Hero
East Tyrone from 1987 until 1992, a period described by one well-respected historian of the Troubles as "more or less open season on the Tyrone IRA as far as the SAS" were concerned. Some 28 very effective PIRA operatives were killed in very well-coordinated and extremely well-planned ambushes. These ambushes wiped out one of the most efficient and toughest IRA unit outside of South Armagh.
Do you see this as a good thing?

Oh but you, you were there, on the balcony were you? Number 957 perhaps? Do you wear the regimental tie to impress Doreen?

I have proved what I stated from the start: the SAS had no compunction in killing IRA personnel when deployed on operations. That those operations were in conjunction with many other elements of the security forces is of no relevance, in any shape or form, to the point I made.

You have not proved otherwise and cannot do so, no matter how much you want to imply that you have some great inside knowledge that you really can't disclose.

You better get that pint from Doreen now. Don't forget to do the 1,000 yard stare as she pours it, you know how that impresses her (you weren't theerrree man!)
Don't suppose you have a relative who is fluent in several variations of German and was never beaten on the cobbles?

No matter: I'll leave you to grandstand to anybody who gives a shit.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Don't suppose you have a relative who is fluent in several variations of German and was never beaten on the cobbles?

No matter: I'll leave you to grandstand to anybody who gives a shit.
It's either a very big brew or the screen coating was thicker than first thought.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
Quite some years ago, a gentleman from a certain regiment known on these means as 'Them' was discussing O'Neill's death. This was when ACSC had a stage on terrorism, and O'Neill's death came up (the inquest had been earlier that year. That was how long ago it was...).

The aforementioned gentleman leant back in his SERCO-provided chair, wrinkled his nose and informed one of the international students who'd enquired about the incident that it 'wasn't necessarily the most proficient demonstration of how to carry out a hard arrest', The syndicate discussion promptly descended into banter about how to carry off wearing a little black coverall while breaking into the ambassador's office to steal the Ferrero Rocher. Which completely confused the internationals, who'd not the first clue what we were on about.
my wife did a Gardening design course at the local evening collage in Essex ( actualy parts one and two over three terms . ).

When the old buffer who was teaching them got a bit boring or wandered away they distracted him by mentioning his police career,

Each one of the students should have been given a certificate of competency in
Armed clearing of houses and a room with a potential gunman contained in it .
How to clear a factory unit of Pikeys using two dogs.
And how to treat a crashed small airplane just like a road traffic accident .

Do you see this as a good thing?
Gerry did (they haven't gone away you know). With all PIRA's hardliners dead or in prison, he knew that PIRA had lost the war and could only negotiate the best terms possible as a face saver. Hence the Good Friday Agreement in 1998.

The same thing happened in 1921. After a substained campaign by the Auxillary Division RIC, improved intelligence, and a surge by the British Army, Michael Collins was forced to the negotiating table and signed the 1922 Anglo-Irish Treaty. He got the same deal that was on offer in 1914 with John Redmond.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
RIPGASS? Watching a documentary about a plastic paddy shot by the plod in london yonks ago and they keep talking about police use of RIP GASS .
To get back to the original question I think @Archimedes has it and they're on about Ferret slugs or similar.

Funny little irritant slugs of limited though actual utility, they're still likely to stop you collecting your pension if they hit you within their effective range.

On a more serious note I think we all wish our Provincial moonhowler a comfortable stay in hospital, and hope he gets over his rage-induced aneurysm soonest.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
On a more serious note I think we all wish our Provisional moonhowler a comfortable stay in hospital, and hope he gets over his rage-induced aneurysm soonest.
Do we? Do we really?

Latest Threads