what is /was

I have an extended family member who worked in Northern Ireland for a certain governmental agency and spent time, amongst other things, keeping an eye on certain naughty boys. His job was to observe and collect information, often in highly dangerous situations. Of course, the media view of what he was there to do and who he was working for probably has him driving an Aston Martin and engaging in firefights on skis or something.
I specifically said "in contact" with terrorists. What did they do on those occasions?

Last edited:
Other than you've missed the valid point that the vast majority of their ops involved being dug into a Blackthorn hedgerow and crapping into plastic bags which were then left at a distant collecting point or, failing that, brought out with them at the end of the Op or hunkered down in a shitty, damp house/attic and carrying out the same drills, you're spot on.

For every shooty/bangy session, there would have been a damned sight more of the former.

Stop making stuff up.
I specifically said "in contact" with terrorist suspects, on those occasions what did they do? Lob the bags of crap at them?

Thanks for clarifying any chance of some actual events please.
Certainly.

I will give you one specific area during one particular period, I can cite other examples if you wish but this will do for illustration.

East Tyrone from 1987 until 1992, a period described by one well-respected historian of the Troubles as "more or less open season on the Tyrone IRA as far as the SAS" were concerned. Some 28 very effective PIRA operatives were killed in very well-coordinated and extremely well-planned ambushes. These ambushes wiped out one of the most efficient and toughest IRA unit outside of South Armagh.

Now, if as has been asserted here, SAS killings were extremely rare and only happened in the fevered imaginations of Commando comic readers and Daily Express journalists then no doubt the posters here can point to the hundreds of peaceful arrests of East Tyrone Provos that occurred around the same time carried out by the SAS without a shot being fired. I await a list of these arrest operations and the names of the hundred of arrested suspects with baited breath.

Loughgall ambush - Wikipedia

Clonoe ambush - Wikipedia

Coagh ambush - Wikipedia

Ambush at Drumnakilly - Wikipedia

Dessie Grew - Wikipedia

Its almost as if you were there. Nowhere has there ever been such an accurate description

And there we were thinking different. Thank Bod for you, showing us all the truth. Does your Mum still pin your mittens on a string through the arms of your coat?
I will place my experience of half a lifetime living and working in one of the most badly effected areas of Northern Ireland amid some of the worst violence in the Troubles from the 1970s until the 1990s against yours, any time chum.

I have an extended family member who worked in Northern Ireland for a certain governmental agency and spent time, amongst other things, keeping an eye on certain naughty boys. His job was to observe and collect information, often in highly dangerous situations. Of course, the media view of what he was there to do and who he was working for probably has him driving an Aston Martin and engaging in firefights on skis or something.
You are related to James Bond. Cool bro.

Are you at the X'ing too @par avion?

Are you also under the delusion that the SOPs for the SAS when in contact with PIRA were the comfy chair and fluffy pillow treatment?

You are a bit more clued in about these things. According to posters here, the SAS were three times more likely to arrest PIRA suspects than shoot them. Well, I have cited 28 dead Provies in East Tyrone, can you point me to the 80 or so East Tyrone Provos who were arrested peacefully and without a shot being fired by the SAS during the same period? Because I am hard-pressed to think of a single occasion.

And what exactly were the RUC doing during this period when the SAS were apparently running around Tyrone making all these peaceful collars of IRA suspects? It will certainly come as news (and quite an affront) to the RUC to learn that the people who arrested all these Provos (if in fact any such arrests were made) were the SAS.

morsk

LE
I will place my experience of half a lifetime living and working in one of the most badly effected areas of Northern Ireland amid some of the worst violence in the Troubles from the 1970s until the 1990s against yours, any time chum.
Ok Pinoccio. I went to Africa once, does that make me an expert on Lions?
Tell us, Which badly affected area did you live in then? Regale us with some war stories. I love it when civvie tell me war stories.
You are precious cupcake. Tell me more about the industrious Rucsacks. Tell me more about the SAS.

Last edited:

ugly

LE
Certainly.

I will give you one specific area during one particular period, I can cite other examples if you wish but this will do for illustration.

East Tyrone from 1987 until 1992, a period described by one well-respected historian of the Troubles as "more or less open season on the Tyrone IRA as far as the SAS" were concerned. Some 28 very effective PIRA operatives were killed in very well-coordinated and extremely well-planned ambushes. These ambushes wiped out one of the most efficient and toughest IRA unit outside of South Armagh.

Now, if as has been asserted here, SAS killings were extremely rare and only happened in the fevered imaginations of Commando comic readers and Daily Express journalists then no doubt the posters here can point to the hundreds of peaceful arrests of East Tyrone Provos that occurred around the same time carried out by the SAS without a shot being fired. I await a list of these arrest operations and the names of the hundred of arrested suspects with baited breath.

Loughgall ambush - Wikipedia

Clonoe ambush - Wikipedia

Coagh ambush - Wikipedia

Ambush at Drumnakilly - Wikipedia

Dessie Grew - Wikipedia
That wasn’t the sas, it was my Mum and her WI undercover team

I specifically said "in contact" with terrorist suspects, on those occasions what did they do? Lob the bags of crap at them?
unh hunh.

How do you suspect such operations developed up to the point that the trigger pullers got to do their thing?

'Multi agency' is not a dirty phrase.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Because the bollocks you are suggesting is. Where do you get your narrative from? Warlord or Commando.

Jebus, there’s greater understanding of the British Army over on the recruitment threads.
@Mike Barton gets his narrative from An Phoblacht. He starts in sounding reasonable and does his best to twist any thread to "evil Brits topping brave Republican Freedom Fighters". I stamp on the provo-loving troll whenever I come across his poison; it's like Whackamole sadly, futile but strangely enjoyable for 5 minutes.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Ok Pinoccio. I went to Africa once, does that make me an expert on Lions?
Tell us, Which badly affected area did you live in then? Regale us with some war stories. I love it when civvie tell me war stories.
You are precious cupcake. Tell me more about the industrious Rucsacks. Tell me more about the SAS.
No I will leave that to you. No doubt you're the world renowned expert.

Pull up a sandbag and tell us about how it was for you on the balcony, which number were you again?

Latest Threads