what is /was

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
RIPGASS? Watching a documentary about a plastic paddy shot by the plod in london yonks ago and they keep talking about police use of RIP GASS .

RIP gas is a higher concentrate of 'normal' CS gas.

Round, Irritant Personnel? Fired from a Remington 870 or similar

I'm guessing that this is the death of Dairmuid O'Neill - he was probably struck by at least one RIP round (although cause of death was six shots fired by one SO19 officer). If you google it, you'll get varying sources, but they all hint to an operation where just about everything which could go wrong did go wrong (although obviously it went rather more wrong for the ASU and O'Neill in particular)...

Round, Irritant Personnel? Fired from a Remington 870 or similar

I'm guessing that this is the death of Dairmuid O'Neill - he was probably struck by at least one RIP round (although cause of death was six shots fired by one SO19 officer). If you google it, you'll get varying sources, but they all hint to an operation where just about everything which could go wrong did go wrong (although obviously it went rather more wrong for the ASU and O'Neill in particular)...
That’s where google took me to also.

That’s where google took me to also.
Quite some years ago, a gentleman from a certain regiment known on these means as 'Them' was discussing O'Neill's death. This was when ACSC had a stage on terrorism, and O'Neill's death came up (the inquest had been earlier that year. That was how long ago it was...).

The aforementioned gentleman leant back in his SERCO-provided chair, wrinkled his nose and informed one of the international students who'd enquired about the incident that it 'wasn't necessarily the most proficient demonstration of how to carry out a hard arrest', The syndicate discussion promptly descended into banter about how to carry off wearing a little black coverall while breaking into the ambassador's office to steal the Ferrero Rocher. Which completely confused the internationals, who'd not the first clue what we were on about.

Quite some years ago, a gentleman from a certain regiment known on these means as 'Them' was discussing O'Neill's death. This was when ACSC had a stage on terrorism, and O'Neill's death came up (the inquest had been earlier that year. That was how long ago it was...).

The aforementioned gentleman leant back in his SERCO-provided chair, wrinkled his nose and informed one of the international students who'd enquired about the incident that it 'wasn't necessarily the most proficient demonstration of how to carry out a hard arrest', The syndicate discussion promptly descended into banter about how to carry off wearing a little black coverall while breaking into the ambassador's office to steal the Ferrero Rocher. Which completely confused the internationals, who'd not the first clue what we were on about.
Come on, don't leave us hanging like that. Explain what went wrong in the operation.

Whacking Provies when you had the chance used to be standard operating procedures for the gentlemen to whom you refer, what went wrong with that operation that got them so sniffy? (I can certainly think of a few operations that they carried out that didn't entirely go to plan).

Zyklon B is a killer, CS incapacitates, One murders, the other renders the victim into a puking writhing incoherent ball of terrified jelly....unless your military trained, then its just a minor irritant....allegedly.

Er, when it came to a certain regiment, yes it was. They weren't special constables expected to make arrests, when they were deployed the end result was pretty much assured.
Bollocks. Stop making shít up, you’ve been reading too much boys own stuff.

Come on, don't leave us hanging like that. Explain what went wrong in the operation.

Whacking Provies when you had the chance used to be standard operating procedures for the gentlemen to whom you refer, what went wrong with that operation that got them so sniffy? (I can certainly think of a few operations that they carried out that didn't entirely go to plan).
Operation Tinnitus.
Duplicate room key didn't open the door as it should have.
That's all you need to know.

Operation Tinnitus.
Duplicate room key didn't open the door as it should have.
That's all you need to know.
He can find it on Google, though, thanks to Amnesty International and the reports of the inquest. I have an outline of events in my memory, but would rather rely on Mike using Google instead of me make any error of facts. The op name might perhaps have been better as Op Amaurosis Fugax thanks to the RIP rounds, IIRC...

Bollocks. Stop making shít up, you’ve been reading too much boys own stuff.
I am not making shit up, the fact remains that Special Forces in Northern Ireland were not deployed primarily in arrest operations, there was a pretty large and very well trained and armed police force called the Royal Ulster Constabulary whose job it was to arrest suspects.

If Special Forces were deployed it was for very good reason and their required skill set was not primarily one of collar feeling.

I am genuinely mystified as to why such a simple statement of fact gets your panties in such a twist.

Time of the month is it?

I am not making shit up, the fact remains that Special Forces in Northern Ireland were not deployed primarily in arrest operations, there was a pretty large and very well trained and armed police force called the Royal Ulster Constabulary whose job it was to arrest suspects.

If Special Forces were deployed it was for very good reason and their required skill set was not primarily one of collar feeling.

I am genuinely mystified as to why such a simple statement of fact gets your panties in such a twist.

Time of the month is it?
I think you may well stir the Ghost of Stalker. This was the argument that eventually ended up in the European Court of Human Rights. The results were, as they were in the UK courts, inconclusive.

Time of the month is it?
They weren’t deployed in state sanctioned murder either, to suggest otherwise, as you have, is pure fantasy.

Time of the month is it?
Am sorry, are you suggesting the squadron/ troop/det working with information received strived to kill instead of arrest known players throughout the 70/80/90/00/10s that prevented special branch and mi5 from dealing with those they wished to chat to.

They weren’t deployed in state sanctioned murder either, to suggest otherwise, as you have, is pure fantasy.
Not quite pure fantasy: 'no prisoners, no trials, no problems' is hardly an unprecedented policy in modern times: Willie Whitelaw was an advocate in 1980.

Latest Threads