What is unique contribution of the UK in the World economy?

Our friend Crabtastic asked me

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=31495.html

Aside from natural gas reserves with a supply chain of dubious reliablity, AK47s and vast quantities of nuclear material, complete with attendant unpaid scientists- what have you got to offer the world?
In this context let's collect unique British goods, technologies, experience that unavailable just now in other countries.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
[align=center]Well....I guess when 'Q Branch' discover the philospher's stone of energy production, the world won't look back. What do I mean, well....

H20 --> H2 + 0

or more precisely...

2 H20 <-> H30+ + OH-[/align]

[align=center]Did I hear someone say Ion Fluctuation?[/align]

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
...primary role in supporting the growth of hops, barley and to a lesser extent viniculture..... :lol:

KGB_resident said:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=31495.html

Aside from natural gas reserves with a supply chain of dubious reliablity, AK47s and vast quantities of nuclear material, complete with attendant unpaid scientists- what have you got to offer the world?
In this context let's collect unique British goods, technologies, experience that unavailable just now in other countries.

British goods or technologies UNAVAILABLE JUST NOW IN OTHER COUNTRIES???????????

I guess, TV, Telephone and ac Electricity are only part-time in Iraq. But if they wanted they could have deep fried pizza, deep fried mars bars and the Krankies... (they can keep the crankies).

Wha_Dar said:
KGB_resident said:

http//www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=31495.html

British goods or technologies UNAVAILABLE JUST NOW IN OTHER COUNTRIES???????????

I guess, TV, Telephone and ac Electricity are only part-time in Iraq. But if they wanted they could have deep fried pizza, deep fried mars bars and the Krankies... (they can keep the crankies).
Blast you! We fought a war to prevent Iraq having WMD and you want them to be in possession of the ULTIMATE EVIL?!

Easy...

Its Britishness!!! Cutlure and heritage.

Its all the stuff that gets toruists in and sells British brands abroad.

We also are pretty competitive at running financial services in the European time zone, film special effetcs and compter game desingns - according to the DTI.

Stable parlimentary democracy in our former colonies and dependancies (Although I conceed not all of them).

A regimental based system for our Army units that have been taken up by amongst others, Australia, New Zealand, India and Pakistan.

Well we've destroyed or stolen most of the good bits of the globe over the last few centuries; we're still holding on to a fair amount of the cash, too. So we could be considered as global muggers...

Maybe Scottish whisky?

Revells

KGBR, "Revels" are one of the lucrative drugs of western decadence currently undermining morale and prising all those lovely blonde Ukrainian girls away from Russia. If you see a packet, denounce anyone involved to the FSB at once. Anonymously, clearly, for your own security.

http://www.snackspot.org.uk/thread.php?story=0407191728sbc

The new flavour is very mysterious until you turn the packet over and see the fifth greatest ingredient is now raisins. Boring! When will this raisin invasion end? As a side note, the caramels now seem to be harder than diamonds. An in-packet chemical reaction with the raisins, or something more sinister?

Nehustan said:
[align=center]Well....I guess when 'Q Branch' discover the philospher's stone of energy production, the world won't look back. What do I mean, well....

H20 --> H2 + 0

Nehustan;

I don't know whether this is what you have in mind; however, I've read that somebody is making real headway in developing genetically-modified algae that release hydrogen gas.

If such a thing could be perfected soon, it could spare the world a lot of grief.

Pteranadon said:
Easy...

Its Britishness!!! Cutlure and heritage.

Its all the stuff that gets toruists in and sells British brands abroad.

We also are pretty competitive at running financial services in the European time zone, film special effetcs and compter game desingns - according to the DTI.
"Culture and heritage." I would say that this is true, though not quite in the same sense as the poster intended.

1. The antagonism toward cartels, guilds, and state monopolies set forth in Adam Smith's The Wealth of Nations.

2. The Magna Carta.

3. Blackstone's Commentaries On The Common Law Of England.

The world economy would have been a lot poorer without these foundations of the individualistic economic order.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
Not_Whistlin_Dixie said:
Nehustan said:

H20 --> H2 + 0

Nehustan;

I don't know whether this is what you have in mind; however, I've read that somebody is making real headway in developing genetically-modified algae that release hydrogen gas.

If such a thing could be perfected soon, it could spare the world a lot of grief.

I heard whispers (can't recall where?) on the very same but that is not exactly what I had in mind...more the breakdown of the H20 atom into constituant parts for recombination in a multitude of ways. How would it be achieved...well the philosophers stone would be finding the process that yields more energy that it uses for the process. In a fuel cell/and or encased form of combustion it could release energy and leave no ecological side effects. I mean if you were really savvy you may even be able to have very high flying craft emitting ozone....