What is this???

I am interested in the 'British Officer' in the pics.........I don't want his phone number or anything remotely like that. And, before anyone whinges they have been linked from another site where they are posted for the world and his mutt to see.

http://www.european-paratrooper.de/europeanparatrooper_de/menu_page/page_all.php

What has prompted my posting is that I was always under the illusion that it was only permitted to wear three (3) qualification insignia.

Added to which the individual seems to be wearing an ebay set of SAS wings!? I recently chatted with someone about these subdued wings and he said - 'they are not worn or official, common sense really they don't wear insignia in combats'.......I am willing to be corrected on this.

Does anyone recognise the square insignia on his right arm or the big insignia on his left arm?

Attachments

I think he wins the award for the most badges ever sewn onto an OG shirt....

Pity he forgot to put his rank slides on....

Can't see any rank either. What's going on?

Lots of odd formation badges too. The one that has my nostrils twitching is the little shield dangling from his left breast pocket. I wonder...

So - red tabs but no rank, in denims? Anyone know him?

Yes but if you look at the site a bit this "club" seems to be at least partially run by serving Boxheads, and the photos "appear" to show squaddies from various nations, all the warning signs are there though.

Gottim.

I don't think there's a persec issue here. This is 'General Michael J. Donnelly.KSG.QGM' who is the Commandant-General of the IOC of the Legion of Frontiersmen and therefore uber-Walt. I thougt I recognised the dangly little shield thing.

Visit their walty little website HERE

Join us in outrage (and action) against this sort of thing on the Legion of Frontiersmen thread chaps. It's an amusing read but proof that walting has a sinister side that threatens us as Services. This is the letter that we are putting out to interested parties. Do read some of the 122 page thread though - it's hilarious.

Sir, etc...

I am writing to request that you review your [insert organisation and allude to relationship] and consider the degree to which you will involve your organisation with the Legion of Frontiersmen in the UK. As a former member of the Army I am concerned that this group now purports to be a part of or on the endorsed periphery of our Armed Forces. This is not so.

The Legion of Frontiersmen has a history of sorts which it usefully confuses with the deeds of serving soldiers wearing quite another capbadge. It adopts a military rank structure and wears UK Armed Forces uniform, including the use of the Queen�s Crown, despite no Royal endorsement. They also make a habit of wearing medals of their own invention or to which they are not entitled. They are however fond of parading in various places and would appear to exploit the ambiguity created by their dress and manner to persuade their hosts that they have strong links with the Armed Forces. I and many of my colleagues find this behaviour deceptive and cynical.

Split into many schisms and branches it makes outlandish and confusing claims. Despite evidence of laudable fundraising efforts from the Legion of Frontiersmen abroad the UK-based Legion (despite claiming charitable status) has produced no evidence of any worthy activity, be it fundraising or of any other benefit to society. It professes a cadet section and a parachute squadron capable of worldwide humanitarian relief effort (www.1st-gryphon-parachute-squadron.com). This is utter nonsense.

This organisation concerns me because I feel that my serving colleagues and I have worked hard to protect the brand and the ethos of our chosen service, and have watched colleagues make far greater sacrifices in this effort. In an age where the Armed Forces must strive to get public support we must similarly resist organisations that make capital from our activity and threaten to dilute and confuse our message. My concern is therefore that you may be deceived by this organisation and it is to the loss of the Armed Forces.

A spirited and often crude debate on the Legion of Frontiersmen has been conducted on the British Army�s unofficial rumour website for the past year (www.arrse.com). I invite you to examine the thread about the Legion of Frontiersmen as it informs the argument and also offers the Legion of Frontiersmen�s defence, such that it is. You are likely to form a better opinion of the situation than this short letter can offer you.

I must emphasise that I am writing this as a private individual and my views do not necessarily reflect MoD policy, although there is growing scrutiny into the probity and worthiness of such organisations taking place at a high level within the Armed Forces.

Yours, etc

I would not try to attach too much credence to anything that this site
adduces as "fact". For instance, its history - written by a "Lt-Gen",
no less - states:

"On December 26, 1904 a banquet was held by one of the Prince of Wales
favourites Lord Lonsdale the Marquis of Queensbury [sic], famed for his
"Queensbury Rules" in the sport of boxing. In attendance at the
banquet were the founder of the Scouting movement Lord Baden-Powell,
future president of South Africa Field Marshall Sir Jan Smuts, Captain
Frederick C. Selous of the Selous Scouts, Lord Louis Mountbatten of
Burma, Chief of the Imperial General Staff Field Marshall Lord
Kitchener, author Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sir Henry Rider Haggard,
Major General Sir Alfred Turner, and many other famous men and top
Royal Army commanders."

Apart from the sad fact that the author cannot spell "Field Marshal",
the most interesting assertion to me is not the apparent alteration of
Lord Queensberry's title, nor the grant to Jan Smuts of a hitherto
unknown knighthood nor his elevation to the presidency of a republic
created 11 years after his death, but that Louis Mountbatten's
precociousness extended to his attending public banquets at the age of
four. I am only surprised that the author does not only inform us that
the present Pope was also there, in zygotic form.

Priceless :)

On a more serious note - can someone tell me anything about these modern
> Frontiersmen groups. After reading the cited pages I am wondering - are
> these Frontiersmen groups anything more than another dress up group with the
> usual gathering of perhaps unknowing patrons, pseudo-gongs and
> pseudo-military pseudo-chivalric regalia? Several years ago at a local
> dinner I was sitting next to our then Police Chief who was sporting some
> medal from the Frontiersmen and explained it was an award for work in public
> safety and like the awards that St. John's Ambulance might give but not a
> government order. He was quite proud of the award and I assumed it be from a
> legitimate patriotic organization.

When I was at Grammar School, in New South Wales, our Headmaster (an
English ex-pat) was an Officer in this organisation - I seem to recall
that the chaplain was too. The Head used to wear the uniform at
various formal events connected with the school's cadet corps.

I was amused at our 6th Form leaving dinner - a white tie affair - to
find that the Head sported a set of miniature medals, starting with the
WW2 Defence Medal (he was nine when the War ended, although he does
have the MBE and a couple of other local medals of an official nature),
while the chaplain's miniatures featured a set of Austro-Hungarian
gallantry medals circa 1914-1918 (he was younger than the Head).

I have accordingly always assumed the Legion of Frontiersmen to be a
joke, and none of the above has caused me to reconsider my early views.

Strange Fcuckers - The germans have a saying "mit fremden federn Schmucken" - it means adorning yourself with other peoples achievments and basking in the Glory of other peoples deeds - Cnuts

Ha ha ha, f#cking hilarious. What a bunch of cnuts. They need to get out more, there is obviously something deeply wrong with their lives.

Thanks chaps, after my original question I shall make a couple of observations:

Walt may be right for the LoF but not for the continentals attending the club. The continentals are much more open to clubs and societies than we anally retentive Brits, so for them having, effectively, an 'Airborne Club' is not considered abnormal.

I know a few foreign chaps who go along to this thing and also one of the jump masters. I personally would not call anyone who has or is currently serving in Special Forces a Walt, and I do mean Special Forces not Airborne.

Most of the attendees are serving military and reservists........why? Because many countries are tight on the number of candidates they put thru jump school and by jumping in CZ if the Americans are there (which they often are) they receive a jump certificate from a foreign nation and can wear the wings on their uniform.

Other attendees are from continental police SWAT units. It is quite common for Euro Police SWAT teams to be para qualified - unlike plod who barely know their MP5 from their...[stoppit]

Believe it or not but the EMPA club wings are recognised by the Austrian military as a basic parachute qualification insignia and may be worn on uniform. I have also seen a Danish Officer wearing them along with his official Danish military wings.

Regarding the legion of Frontiersmen Ober General, I am now going to email the chap I know who jump-masters down there ( He was 2 REP and has also done some PS work, not a Walt) and point out that the General who they have up as an SAS General is actually not. And, if anyone knows anyone in the SAS Association they may want to point them in the direction of the site so they can see what the good General of the Legion of Frontiersmen has been up to in their name.

If some of these chaps are SF - god help us! With the exception of the Deutsche blerk, they have enough belly fat to live off the land for months and look as if they would struggle with a 3 foot wall! Strangely horrifying.

nurse_ratched said:
If some of these chaps are SF - god help us! With the exception of the Deutsche blerk, they have enough belly fat to live off the land for months and look as if they would struggle with a 3 foot wall! Strangely horrifying.
Unlike the good General, they do not like being photographed.

The Greeks are also quite good with their airborne association, they arrange jumps for ex/retired personnel and serving. They annually jump with airborne units from Serbia, Bulgaria, Turkey (last year) and also go to the US for a big airborne jump thing called Leap Fest or Jump Fest. And, then there is the annual May friendship jump at the Israeli airborne school.........you have to be qualified already but they do a ground refresher and then you static line or HALO out of a Herc, big parade, wings given out etc etc.

http://www.helaru.gr/ Its not very up to date, but you'll get the idea.

I have heard a whisper that someone is kicking off a similar concept over here, down near Chippenham. Lets face it theres a lot of ex-para types that would'nt mind buggering off from the wife and rugrats for a weekend...sleep in spiders, jump out of a perfectly good plane for old time sakes and then visit the refreshment stand for the remainder of the weekend. I would'nt call them Walts either.

Ronnie8781 said:
He's wearing the "Regiment" stable belt as well!!
Indeed, last time I saw one of those it was adorning someone with rather more military bearing than that walting, ginger midget.

mature-stoodent said:
nurse_ratched said:
Unlike the good General, they do not like being photographed.

The Greeks are also quite good with their airborne association, they arrange jumps for ex/retired personnel and serving. They annually jump with airborne units from Serbia, Bulgaria, Turkey (last year) and also go to the US for a big airborne jump thing called Leap Fest or Jump Fest. And, then there is the annual May friendship jump at the Israeli airborne school.........you have to be qualified already but they do a ground refresher and then you static line or HALO out of a Herc, big parade, wings given out etc etc.

http://www.helaru.gr/ Its not very up to date, but you'll get the idea.

I have heard a whisper that someone is kicking off a similar concept over here, down near Chippenham. Lets face it theres a lot of ex-para types that would'nt mind buggering off from the wife and rugrats for a weekend...sleep in spiders, jump out of a perfectly good plane for old time sakes and then visit the refreshment stand for the remainder of the weekend. I would'nt call them Walts either.
Are you having a laugh ,the Greeks parachuting in Turkey!!! You seem to know alot about these people which I find quite disturbing ,they are walts ,pure and simple nothing else.
And do you really think an ex-airborne soldier would get dressed up in his OG trousers ,smock ,beret ,bergen etc leave the wife and kids at home to go parachuting in Chippenham?

Ps Do you know the date of the next training weekend?

Latest Threads