What is this (US) chaps beret?

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I didn't want to hi-jack the thread where this picture originally appeared so I'm asking on here.

Is this a regimental beret or SF - it does appear to be tipping a wink at the the SAS. Its certainly not the normal US helicopter landing pad and what badge is it?

BuggerAll said:
I didn't want to hi-jack the thread where this picture originally appeared so I'm asking on here.

Is this a regimental beret or SF - it does appear to be tipping a wink at the the SAS. Its certainly not the normal US helicopter landing pad and what badge is it?

Rangers wear the "sandy" coloured beret and have done for a while now.
They used to wear black berets but then the rest of the Army started to wear Black, so to remain different to the rest of the Army they adopted the sandy beret as their own.

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
US Army berets come in a variety of flavours. Black is standard, Tan is for Rangers, Maroon is Airborne, Green is for Special Forces. The 'badge' is known as a Beret Flash and is a unit identifier. It started with the SF Groups in the early 1960's, but was soon adopted by the Airborne and then the rest of the US Army.

This is the standard US Army flash and beret:

The Rangers used to wear this as their flash:

but now seem to wear this:

Don't know what unit flash Capt Myers is wearing in that picture, but the metal insignia is his Captain's rank.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
blonde_guy said:
Do they wear the sandy beret for any other reason than to emulate the SAS?
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

There are a relatively limited number of colours to pick from and given current ops sandy would be high on my list of appropriate colours.

BuggerAll said:
blonde_guy said:
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

There are a relatively limited number of colours to pick from and given current ops sandy would be high on my list of appropriate colours.
Stripes? Alternate squares of primary colours?

Doesn't anyone on the uniform design team have any imagination? :)

BuggerAll said:
There are a relatively limited number of colours to pick from
Maroon
Brown
Khaki
Navy Blue
Sky Blue
Black
Scarlet
Light Grey
Dark Grey
Blue Grey
Emerald Grey
Cypress Green
Rifle Green
Bottle Green

:twisted:

blonde_guy said:
BuggerAll said:
Maroon
Brown
Khaki
Navy Blue
Sky Blue
Black
Scarlet
Light Grey
Dark Grey
Blue Grey
Emerald Grey
Cypress Green
Rifle Green
Bottle Green

What about shocking pink? 3 Para Mortars will be outraged!

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
blonde_guy said:
They call it 'Tan' and it's actually closer in shade to our Guards' beige berets.

[quote="Steven]
Stripes? Alternate squares of primary colours?

Doesn't anyone on the uniform design team have any imagination? [/quote]

You're obviously unfamiliar with the demi-leopard skin beret of the "Men of the 303" :D

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
blonde_guy said:
BuggerAll said:
Maroon
Brown
Khaki
Navy Blue
Sky Blue
Black
Scarlet
Light Grey
Dark Grey
Blue Grey
Emerald Grey
Cypress Green
Rifle Green
Bottle Green

And various shades there of: All of which could lead to accusations of copying.

RP578 said:
US Army berets come in a variety of flavours. Black is standard, Tan is for Rangers, Maroon is Airborne, Green is for Special Forces. The 'badge' is known as a Beret Flash and is a unit identifier. It started with the SF Groups in the early 1960's, but was soon adopted by the Airborne and then the rest of the US Army.

This is the standard US Army flash and beret:

The Rangers used to wear this as their flash:

but now seem to wear this:

Don't know what unit flash Capt Myers is wearing in that picture, but the metal insignia is his Captain's rank.
Those are flashes specific to 75th Ranger Regiment. Myers is wearing the generic "Ranger" flash.

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
sandmanfez said:
Those are flashes specific to 75th Ranger Regiment. Myers is wearing the generic "Ranger" flash.
As JoeCivvie said above, it's actually the flash of the 5th Ranger Training Battalion based at Camp Frank D. Merrill, Georgia.

The only 'generic' Ranger flash is the Ranger Tab which is awarded to all graduates of the Ranger School, whether they go on to serve in the 75th Ranger Regt or not.

Holy thread resurrection, just had the following in by email:

The flash is for US Army Infantry School/Ranger School/Training. They were the black and
gold flash and typically wear the Infantry School insignia with the sword that says
"Follow Me" over the top but officers where their rank so hence the captain rank, the
beret is correct as stated by others for the US Army Rangers after the Army yanked the
black beret and issued it across the board.

Ok, so I'll be boring also. There are two elements to the Ranger thing: one is the Ranger Tab received when successfully completing Ranger School; the second is the beret and scroll of the 75th Ranger Regiment.

The Ranger School effectively provides "All Arms" training, upon successful completion of the course the participant is awarded the "Ranger Tab" which they may then wear. The Ranger School is designed to produce excellent soldiers and officers with outstanding leadership potential. No one on the course wears rank, course members must meet the physical demands of the course, additionally all course members are rotated through the various command and leadership positions in which they are critically assessed. For young officers wanting to build a successful career it is considered a course to attend to show that they have something between their legs and are not just an officer school product.

Selection for the 75th Ranger Regiment (think along the lines of SFSG) takes place in an entirely different school and is an entirely different set of courses:

1. Everyone has to do the RASP (1) course, think along the lines of selection, this is run 11 times a year with around 150'ish starting the process and around 40'ish finishing. This is a beasting from before sun up to well after sun down for around 4 weeks with stage tests and a final test week. The biggie is a 12 mile tab with a 35lb bergan, kit and four or five 2 pint water bottles because of the relative humidty - target time is 3 hours. There is also a 5 mile individual run in kit in 40 minutes and a few other bits and pieces along the way like speed night navigation exercises.

2. If a candidate gets thorugh the first part of RASP they go on to the second part. This involves another few weeks with PT and beastings as time allows but the time is designed to teach the technicalities of being a Ranger with the 75th. There are a couple of weeks of weapons to expand the candidates capabilities with issue weapons, specialized weapons and enemy weapons. Then there is a week of dems and breaching techniques with a practical test at the end.

3. If candidates have gotten through both those phases they are allocated to a battalion in the Regiment and will wear the Battalion scroll on their left sleeve. If they are not a medic they will ordinarily go direct to their battalion and insert into the training cycle. If their battalion is on deployment they will remain with the rear echelon component. Personnel allocated to Ranger medic roles will attend the SF medic training school for around (off the top of my head) 6 months (it may be 12, I can't exactly remember).

4. Generally after 18 months and probably one deployment the 75th newbies will get sent to attend the SURT course for 3 weeks (might be 4 but I'm sure its 3) as a pre-cursor to attending the Ranger School. Yes, even if they are serving in the 75th anf have been on deployment once or twice the newbie still has to attend Ranger School to get the Ranger tab, there are those who fail (around 10% as I recall). Those who fail are evaluated on their performance by their battalion and their future is considered, most are allowed a second attempt. Failure to attain the Ranger tab means that service with the 75th is discontinued.

There is also a RASP (2) course, a little shorter than the RASP (1) course. It is intended for returners to the Regiment who have been away for a couple or three years. It is also a requirement for NCO's who are moving onwards and upwards in the Regiment at the end of the physical course all attendees on Rasp (2) have to step before a board of around 6 - 8 SNCO's, Officers and a shrink where they can be grilled for a good few hours to justify their existence and potential for the Regiment. Some do get the FO stamp on their docs.

Additionally RASP (2) is for officers. Its a bit like THEM for officers in the 75th - do a tour then leave for a tour or two and hope you get picked to go back. Officers go through an officer phase for mission planning and get grilled even more than the NCO's and SNCO's.

Interestingly, there have been cases of officers throwing in their commission to stay with the 75th full-time. It would appear though that and officer handing back his commission gets Sgt automatically.

Rangers do a 4 month tour on deployment, with the advance party company and rear party company doing 5 months. There are blokes who have now done 15 deployments.

Re berets - I know the USN Riverine forces in VN wore black berets with the 'flap' over the left ear, and I believe the FFL also have the flap on the left, as opposed to the right.

Any other units do the same?

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
most ex french colonies and jason statham

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Arfur Army Reserve 22
cdogunner Gunners 10
TheLordFlasheart Aviation 20