Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what is this mounted to an old satellite dish bracket on my new house?

Ooh, look at you being all fancy and showing the trendy new Dodge branded version...........Wasn’t a good old Commer posh enough ;)
We also had 3 high roof Dodge 50s. Man they couldn't half shift. Shame the brakes were shite.

Clue. It is definitely not a transceiver. An antenna for a microwave device perhaps. Definitely not a transceiver.
How did you come to that conclusion Einstein? Proof, links, supposition, guess work, crystal ball, reading tea leaves, tarot cards, pray do tell, we are all agog and await with baited breath!

I would like to refer the OP to the following links:

Please read these pages carefully as I shall be asking questions afterwards...
I read the article about the (London-Frankfurt) private microwave network, and it didn't mention who the private operator for the first one was. Would that be the one the Royal Signals set up ?

Regarding the floating (Atlantic) microwave masts, how does that work line-of-sight if the bouyancy moves the direction of the masts/antennas?

How did you come to that conclusion Einstein? Proof, links, supposition, guess work, crystal ball, reading tea leaves, tarot cards, pray do tell, we are all agog and await with baited breath!
Because its an antenna. It's not difficult. If it's an antenna it by definition cannot be a transceiver.

O.P. I have a similar device on my house.
It's to keep elephants away.
Seems to work.

OP could this mysterious device be identified by reading the label on the back it ?

its part of the villages werewolf protection network, which is easily proved on the next full moon by peeking out of the curtains (very carefully)

OP could this mysterious device be identified by reading the label on the back it ?

Its part of the villages smuggling protection network, which is easily proved on the next full moon by peeking out of the curtains (very carefully)
" If you wake at midnight
and hear some horses feet,
Don't go peering through the blinds,
nore looking in the street,
them that asks no questions,
Isn't told a lie,
so watch the wall my darling,
As the gentlemen go by.

Five and twenty pony's
trotting through the dark
Brandy for the parson,
and baccy for the clerk,
laces for a lady,
and letters for a spy,
so watch the wall my darling, as the gentlemen go by.

Last edited:
" If you wake at midnight
and hear some horses feet,
Don't go peering through the blinds,
nore looking in the street,
them that asks no questions,
Isn't told a lie,
so watch the walls my darlings,
As the gentlemen go by.

Four and twenty horses
trotting through the dark
Brandy for the parson,
and baccy for the clerk,
laces for a lady,
and letters for a spy,
so watch the walls my darlings, as the gentlemen go by.

Flanders and Swan walt

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Contact the previous owner. It looks like a microwave transceiver, Maybe, but why on a private house?
To make his microwave work faster?

Really? Do you know what a transceiver is? I suspect not.

For me there are two possibilities. Sometimes high availability installations/sites require what is known as a 'separacy' connection for redundancy. Often these are challenging to install if the particular facility is in a location that is difficult to access. In this case one of the options is to microwave out a connection to another pick-up point, that does not share infrastructure with the main connection. This 'separacy' can be a condition of the contract and the Service Level Agreement.

On the other hand it does seem feasible that it is an antenna for a 'down the hill' link delivering high(er) speed internet connectivity to a remote community. Although, the antenna looks a little bit serious for this purpose unless the link is really long. I would expect to see an antenna more like this which has an EIRP of about 1 Watt:

antenna.jpg

A wine glass, with some water in it, can be used to cause a near identical wine glass, with the same amount of water in it to resonate. Neither is a receiver or a transmitter. Mutual resonance depends on power input from a human, rubbing the rim of one glass. Like the glass, an antenna on it's own is a passive device.

Latest Threads