What is this from Op Resolute?

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by TheSpecialOne, Mar 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can any gunners enlighten me as to what this is? It was deployed next to my rebro at the former Serb radar complex on Mount Lisina NW of Banja Luka in April 1996.

Attached Files:

2. were you with 3 div by any chance?

3. RGJ attached 2LI. There was a R Sigs node sight at that location as well

4. ah right that would have been one of our lot i guess, we moved from GV to the metal factory

5. Try 14 Signal Regt (EW), I think that is one of their's or maybe the gunners locating battery, have you got a picture from the reverse side

6. No - they were gunners. It was a box on the back of a bedford where the gunners sat at a mass of kit. Didn't get a real look inside as the lads were secretive about what they were doing. I know its not Cymbeline or M-Star. maybe an early MAMBA? There was a big effort to track Serb radar emmissions as they were tracking IFOR aircraft from ZSUs and the like. We all thought it was part of that

7. I know what it is.

It's a friking laser beamer.

8. Foil hats on chaps!

9. I was with HALO Troop around that time in '96 based in Jajce, with other dets elsewhere. As far as I am aware we were the only Locating assets in theatre, although I stand to be corrected. We even got bounced up to the Yank area to try and solve a problem they were having, so Locating was a bit thin on the ground across theatre.
    The cloggies were operating a big radar similar to COBRA, but it didn't look like that.
    Bear in mind that around then, post Options for Change there were only two Locating Batteries left and we were taking it in turns to man HALO.
    My guess would be scalies.

10. No, defo RA. The only R Sigs up there were manning a Ptarmigan node site.

11. Could be Air Defence, not my area but don't immediately recognise the kit. There was some radar being trialled at the time, but that turned into COBRA, which didn't look like that.
    An oppo of mine was on the COBRA trial and I'm pretty sure they didn't take it out to Bos that early. May be wrong though.

12. Sigs ELINT. The last RA antenna that was remotely like that was in the 1960s, Radar FA No 13, used with the first UAV (the one before Midge).

13. I think it was used in an ELINT capacity but it was definately manned by gunners. 126 Bty were in theatre with their AS90s - could it be something to do with them?

14. #The Dutch in MND SW had Firefinder radars. I have a vague recollection that we might have had some in our UK OOB, that had been deployed initially as UN assets in Sarajevo.

15. the dish did move about randomly - I got the impression that the crew were looking for emissions. The dish was also on a scissor lift mechanism as it was stowed inside the box during transport