What is this "Debt of Gratitude" bull?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by ALVIN, Nov 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone confirm tangible evidence of "The Debt of Gratitude" owed by Government to our brave Service bods ----- Cos i aint seen any!!
    I think that this line used so much by Government these days is a myth --- to dupe the public!!
    What do you think?
  2. It does exist, but only as a soundbite which is occasionally wheeled out as a plaster to stick over missing limbs.

3. How very true. Very sad, but very true.
  4. It would be nice if the Government for once paid the debt,
  5. Empty words from empty people
  6. It reminds me of other quaint Government expressions like:

"Fully equipped"

"Enough Helicopters"

"45 Mins"
  7. Too true MiT

Along with lessons to be learned and actions to be regretted
  8. A myth to be sure, but there is no need to take it personally.

Pretty much everything and everyone is regarded in the same hard-eyed cynical manner as mere
    tokens to be traded and exploited in the pursuit and retention of power.

Cue Alan Johnson, as a mere MP he pleaded for an asylum seeker to be allowed to stay
    here because, as the scars on the man's body showed, he had been tortured as a
    dissident back home and faced more of the same upon his return.

Now, as Home Secretary, he has chucked the poor fecker out on his ear so as not to seem weak on immigration.
  9. Too true - we are merely yet another one of the multitude of "unfavoured classes" for this government. Too be honest, the military pretty much always have been unfavoured by the government of the day.
  10. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

It's been gradually watered down over the years

When my greatgrandad came home in 1918 covered in Flanders mud he was promised a Land fit for Hero's

When my Grandad came back in 1945 he was promised much the same and even got a free suit

Now were buying charity wristband so wounded soldiers can have rehabilitation facillities

Lads on this website are chipping in to help famillies

Nothing has changed nothing will change until we get a Prime Minister who has actually served under the same conditions as our soldiers
  11. It is a debt still owed and gained at a terrible cost to many more than seen.We must not allow the Government of whatever side to forget both it's reality and responsibilities.It is tempting when faced with so much cynicism and 'spin' to want to just say F*** it,but they OWE this to people who have had to pay the price for their policies and positions of power.Every time I read another K.I.A. I am convinced we owe it to our own to make sure they are never allowed to wriggle out of their part of this awesome debt.Our wounded and dead cannot,why should they?
  12. If only Gorden could see the 88% vote to date!! :wink: ---- Thanks for your vote guys.
  13. What do I think?

I think it's about time the bus was POL'd.
  14. A nice pay rise out of gratitude would be good - one for all ranks not just Pte-LCpl and Lts!!
  15. The government are just grateful that some other lower class person is doing all there dirty work,they woudnt know real gratitude if it hit them on the head. sympathy and fake compassion are only shown publicly but them after a mass public outcry and the pressure is on. real gratitude would be for them to push the troops in all there endevours 100% after all they are the twxxts that are constantly sending them here there and everywhere.