What is the smallest caliber you trust to protect yourself?

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Bilbo-K, May 31, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. smallest_calibre.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  2. The guns shit....but your survival skills can't be faulted.

3. .22 a favourite for taxi drivers!

4. 120mm WOMBAT, just to be sure

• Like Like x 1
  5. Belt fed ;P?

6. If you start shooting at most people with any calibre they will normally run away as the fight or flight kicks in. Trained individuals and war zones produce different reactions.

As a duty calibre I'd carry 9mm. Lots of arguements over the years about effectivness of 9mm as a man dropper, mostly by people who can't shoot well. 9mm though will drop any antisocial type if the shooter is trained, aims at the proper squidgy bits and hits where he aims.

Domestically; the mrs has a 9mm Glock that sits on the bedside table at bobo's time and I have an almost 3/4 inch (that's a 12 bore) calibre pump action loaded with slug ready in the wardrobe.

Out on the town; I've never really been a fan of carrying for the sake of carrying. I know lots of septics who carry around the house, in the car, at the supermarket ........... but, I probably know more who don't even own a gun. I have a safe in the car for transporting my pistols across state borders and on one occasion I did actually take a pistol out and stick it in my belt...........I was driving through Georgia and had to stop at very late dark o'clock and I thought I had somehow driven through a wormhole and ended up in the Congo - whitey was definately out of place and was made very aware of that.

• Like Like x 1
  7. It depends where innit? Around my neck of the woods, no need to carry. Downtown J'burg: A technical, a belt fed .50 and two skinnies in flip flops...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mongo

Mongo LE Reviewer

Obviously not a regular case but have you heard of this incident?

9. I never go out without my millenium taurus compact .45. Pretty much guaranteed to stop most things.

Attached Files:

10. Belt fed mortar would be more realistic!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

0.6 airsoft pellets. While they're laughing in with the entrenching tool.

• Like Like x 2
  12. No need where I live, but I do remember seeing a walther 7.65 round ricocheting from a car windscreen down into the dashboard during a car drills demo I attended once, that has put me firmly in the 9mm and up club were I ever to need to go tooled up.

13. They had chased the guys motor for a distance so had psychologically (thats a big word) committed themselves to some sort of action. Luckily the fact that matey boy worked for HK meant he was reasonably aufait with firearms. Most scrotes are brainless opportunists and invest little, if any, time in training or fitness so you can generally outperform or out run them.

14. Looks like a good carry, but at $500.00 USD, a little bit pricey.

15. .38+P and upwards.

When I carried in Saffrica the first round to go under the hammer was a home-loaded shot shell - good on snakes and for discouraging soon-to-be first-time voters without being lethal. If lethal was required the next 5 rounds were .357 magnum Black Talons. (At least I think they were - this was 30 years ago).