What is the smallest caliber you trust to protect yourself?

120mm WOMBAT, just to be sure

If you start shooting at most people with any calibre they will normally run away as the fight or flight kicks in. Trained individuals and war zones produce different reactions.

As a duty calibre I'd carry 9mm. Lots of arguements over the years about effectivness of 9mm as a man dropper, mostly by people who can't shoot well. 9mm though will drop any antisocial type if the shooter is trained, aims at the proper squidgy bits and hits where he aims.

Domestically; the mrs has a 9mm Glock that sits on the bedside table at bobo's time and I have an almost 3/4 inch (that's a 12 bore) calibre pump action loaded with slug ready in the wardrobe.

Out on the town; I've never really been a fan of carrying for the sake of carrying. I know lots of septics who carry around the house, in the car, at the supermarket ........... but, I probably know more who don't even own a gun. I have a safe in the car for transporting my pistols across state borders and on one occasion I did actually take a pistol out and stick it in my belt...........I was driving through Georgia and had to stop at very late dark o'clock and I thought I had somehow driven through a wormhole and ended up in the Congo - whitey was definately out of place and was made very aware of that.

It depends where innit? Around my neck of the woods, no need to carry. Downtown J'burg: A technical, a belt fed .50 and two skinnies in flip flops...

No need where I live, but I do remember seeing a walther 7.65 round ricocheting from a car windscreen down into the dashboard during a car drills demo I attended once, that has put me firmly in the 9mm and up club were I ever to need to go tooled up.

Obviously not a regular case but have you heard of this incident?
They had chased the guys motor for a distance so had psychologically (thats a big word) committed themselves to some sort of action. Luckily the fact that matey boy worked for HK meant he was reasonably aufait with firearms. Most scrotes are brainless opportunists and invest little, if any, time in training or fitness so you can generally outperform or out run them.

.38+P and upwards.

When I carried in Saffrica the first round to go under the hammer was a home-loaded shot shell - good on snakes and for discouraging soon-to-be first-time voters without being lethal. If lethal was required the next 5 rounds were .357 magnum Black Talons. (At least I think they were - this was 30 years ago).

.22 rf short? You gots to be kidding.

In Serpico, the eponymous biography of ex-NYPD whistleblower Frank Serpico, it's recounted that, on plainclothes anti-hooker patrol, and dressed up to look like a john, Ptlman Serpico carried a.25 automatic in his jockey shorts. He reasoned that if his investigation subject grabbed him down there, that alone gave him grounds for making the pinch.

By the way, his usual duty weapon was a Browning Hi-Power 9 mm/P.

G

goatrutar

.38+P and upwards.

When I carried in Saffrica the first round to go under the hammer was a home-loaded shot shell - good on snakes and for discouraging soon-to-be first-time voters without being lethal. If lethal was required the next 5 rounds were .357 magnum Black Talons. (At least I think they were - this was 30 years ago).
Here the Queensland coppers use 10mm black talons. Police shootings are fairly rare in QLD but when they happen they're nearly always fatal.

I had a Beretta Scorto 9mm for a few years in Germany (you have to take a small weapon of some kind when you go hunting in Germany). It was kind of comforting to feel in the holster on the belt. but the bloody thing was wildly inaccurate.

SLR

Shhh who said that?

I had a Beretta Scorto 9mm for a few years in Germany (you have to take a small weapon of some kind when you go hunting in Germany). It was kind of comforting to feel in the holster on the belt. but the bloody thing was wildly inaccurate.

SLR

Shhh who said that?
eodmatt shuttup! It's way to early to use that word... you know the one... Auld-Yin hasn't had his medecine yet...