What is the secret of a good Beef Wellington?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Ord_Sgt, Aug 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I'm not a great cook but love a good Beef Wellington. Recently I've tried to cook one or two, and failed miserably.

I sear the meat in a frying pan for 30 seconds each side, then wrap it in pastry and put it in the oven for 8 to 12 minutes at 200 degrees but it always comes out over cooked or tough. What am I doing wrong?
  2. Chicken liver pate.
  3. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I spread that on the pastry of course but it still doesn't work for me :(
  4. Make sure you're cooking it at 200 degree fahrenheit, not celsius. Anything else?
  5. Yeah good point, don't use Kelvin either or you'll **** your teeth.
  6. P_J

P_J Old-Salt Book Reviewer

As strange as it might sound, after you have seared the beef and allowed it to rest and cool, wrap it in pancakes before you put it onto the pate/mushroom mix and pastry. Also, make sure you stab holes in the top right through to the meat so that the steam can escape. Works a treat for me every time and stops the pastry coming out soggy. What kind of pastry are you using? If it's cooking that much in such a short space of time, it could be that your pastry layer is too thin.
  7. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Are you using a fan assisted oven? If so you need to adjust your cooking time and temperature.

Cooking for 12 minutes implies a fairly small joint, which is not that great for making a Wellington ( a 400g Fillet would need 40 min).

Make sure that you refrigerate the Wellington for about 15 min before sticking it in the oven; that'll help bind it, and will slow the cooking down. Layer the inside of the pastry with parma ham, as that will also protect the meat. Your pastry may also be a bit thin.

As for the Chicken Liver pate, that's not the best thing to use. You should either be making a mushroom duxelle, or if you are feeling flash a Pate de Fois Gras (which is a richer and heavier consistency than Chicken Liver).
  8. Ord, you are nacking it use puff
  9. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Pastry is simple puff pastry, that comes out fine with the pate and mushrooms, the meat seems to be over done or too tough. I'm guessing I should be using a larger portion of meat.
  10. P_J

The other option is to use a decent size medallion of beef and do individual ones if you don't want to use a bigger piece of beef. Failing that, put the mushroom mixture on the beef itself, then the pancake layer, then the pastry to give it a bit of insulation for want of a better way of explaining it. Also, try searing it for less time but in a hotter pan.
  11. You have to have chicken liver pate. Or the dog dies. End of xx
  12. Don't let the beef sit to long after removing it from the oven, as it will cook itself an additional 5 to 10 minutes and result in a more done piece of meat. And if the pastry is too thick your beef will be over cooked by the time your pastry is cooked best is get a thermometer to see thats its cooked to 140 degrees and what ever you do dont cut it open to see if it cooked as you will release the juices and you will be eating a soggy mess.
  13. P_J

Yours or mine :?
  14. I don't remember ever using pate of any description, but have made pretty good boeuf using a sort of very thick Jagersauce; shredded mushrooms and mustard. Not made it for years, though. Haven't had Baked Alaska for years either...
  15. I think you have to use really fresh Wellingtons...