What is the role of a Royal Military Police (RMP) Officer

I am joining the Army Reserves in the RMP as a soldier whilst in education, but I am seriously considering going full time when I leave education. I am thinking of going for RMP Officer, but was wondering if they still have a hands on Policing role like those in the ranks would. For example, will I find myself regularly going out on the beat in the garrison, and garrison town? Or will I never find myself on the beat? Or will I still find myself out and about but not as regularly like those in the ranks?

I only ask because the main reason of joining the RMP is to integrate my interests in Policing, and Military into one. Their is also the great feeling of serving your country, and protecting soldiers, and civilians living in family accomodation. So basically, in the RMP I am hoping to get the best of both worlds. So, it is critical that as an Officer I will still be doing hands on Police work, even if it is less regular than what it would be if I joined as a soldier.

Thanks.

Last edited:
As an RMP officer you will not be going out on patrol nor carrying out investigations.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

As an RMP officer you will not be going out on patrol nor carrying out investigations.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
You can, if you so wish. Not as often as the men and women you command, but you can. You will be managing investigations in concert with several of the SNCO in the company, and will most likely do an attachment to the SIB for 6 months as an investigator.

Be under no illusion though, it isn't too often that you'll be getting your hands dirty.

You'll sit in your room and wonder why you're being treated like a leper by real soldiers.

Top tip. If you want to be a policeman, join the civilian police. The RMP are to policing what the RAF Regiment is to soldiering.

You won't be doing investigations except on vanishingly rare occasions. Then you'll fück it up and the whole shitty shebang will be passed on to a Full screw who will look at you with pitying contempt as you pass on your shït burger.

No, you won't be on the beat doing investigations. The main reason for this is, believe it or not, pissed squaddie lamps a full screw on duty, serious but not so serious as lamping an Officer on duty. You will have your hands full dealing with the demands of running your platoon, sorting out whatever jiffing has come your way from the CO and dealing with the OC's latest wheeze.

I should imagine (don't know) that there will be far fewer opportunities for investigation outside shite like a barrack room theft because of withdrawing from Germany. That's where we did our main Policing role and the opportunities to get there are vanishing fast.

image.jpg
Don't forget route marking. Someone has to translate COS' amazingly complicated scheme of manoeuvre onto routes Bird, Dog, Cat, Snake and Rat whilst maintaining MSRs Sturgeon and Carp for DCOS.

Don't forget route marking. Someone has to translate COS' amazingly complicated scheme of manoeuvre onto routes Bird, Dog, Cat, Snake and Rat whilst maintaining MSRs Sturgeon and Carp for DCOS.
He'll be too busy making brews in the Pro Cell at Bde. Getting his 'face seen'.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
OP You might want to look at your PERSEC.

Not me - 'cos I was one :) It's a fact though that RMP officer's do not carry out a policing function. Supervisory - Yes: investigative - no (with a few small caveats).

Thanks, I guess I am best going for the ranks then? Policing, for me, is fairly essential to get best of both the Military and Policing worlds. I will still consider the other benefits of being an Officer, but it seems the NCO is the way to go.

I imagine that a lot of your time will be spent basking in the warm glow of the respect from the wider army. You'll need to find the time to ruffle the hair on mischievous soldiers as you impart stern but fair words of advice so they can avoid trouble in the future. You'll basically be like a father figure to everyone that you meet.

Something, something, red waistcoats, etc...

Oh and don't take this lot too seriously, they are all pissed because the RMP stole everything worth having during Op PLUNDER.

Enjoy your time in the AR and best of luck if you do go regular.

Thanks, I guess I am best going for the ranks then? Policing, for me, is fairly essential to get best of both the Military and Policing worlds. I will still consider the other benefits of being an Officer, but it seems the NCO is the way to go.
Not RMP but REME.
I tried for a commission, failed and have thanked Frunobulax ever since.
Far more fun in the ranks if you want to get things done.