What is the 'rifle' in use in IRAQ?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by old_bloke, Aug 2, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seen this picture on a US site. Wondering if it is correctly dated as July 2004? If so how come the booties have iron sites and the A1. I thought all in the dust bowl had the A2.

2. That phot was taken on a British Type 23 frigate, and I can only assume that they are the embarked boarding team, and are using the ship's weapons, which are never fitted with SUSAT and at present are still A1. Why they are not using, or do not have embarked their own weapons I cannot say.
  3. what's to say they're booties? I can't see RM flashes on the guy on the left?
    And are SUSAT's what you really want for a boarding party? I wouldn't, it's CQ stuff.
  4. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I don't fancy their top cover much either.....

re SUSAT though I'd always take it preference to Iron sights, you can always use the EBS! Seriously its mostly because I hate the Iron Sights so much but if you must have another reason then there is always getting to and from the target.
  5. Kel

Kel Old-Salt

What's that geezer on the left doing on the 'wrong' side of the wall? One slip and "oh shiii...." splash.
  6. Looks to me like he is standing on a boarding ladder of some kind. Maybe they are practicing boarding ships.
  7. Showing off with a 9 milly by the look of it :?
  8. No absolute certainty, but as they are practising a boarding on a British ship, and it is the Booties that supply the sharp end of the boarding teams to RN ships, it seems a fair bet. The Booties that we had on for the boarding teams brought their own weapons, which were fitted with SUSAT, and each of them carried a 9mm as well.
  9. Forgive me for venturing entering such a highly expertised area of debate; however, are SUSAT firer's not warned of the danger of "Tunnel Vision" and; merely a supposition find it an innaproppriate tool for CQB? Thany-you....donations to the 'Filbert Fox Fund for Coffee'
  10. Does the Navy then no longer lay their ships alongside the enemy at pistol-shot, give it some broadsides and then run over the bows with cutlass, boarding pike and pistol?

God. No respect for tradition.
  11. It's the lack of suitable masts and rigging you see... :lol:
  12. Heh - not the mention the Navy's lack of ships!
  13. Oh, hope you wouldn't notice that one :oops:
  14. PP- outed either as a cross dressing booty or gay as feck (at sea of course) beard wearing......senior (as in old) Service (allegedly) !!

The RN...after all..............its what you want 8O
  15. Although a dress would show off my exellent legs (might need a shave though) and I look really rugged in a beard.... the thought of me having both at the same time, is just too close to some of the things I've seen in some less reputable drinking establishments around the world to be comfortable. As for being Senior Service? I think RE qualifies on that count :wink:

After all, I couldn't be RN. I look shocking in dark blue 8O