What is the remit of a Regimental Association

As above, what are they for and how are they staffed

What about Regimental Association for units Regiments that no longer exist

Where do they get their money from, are there any paid staff

Despite a 22 year career, I have never joined or participated in what would be my Regimental Association, I left all the berets, blazers and badges behind when I walked out the camp gates

I feel that it is highly unlikely that I would require anything from them so have not joined

Archie

NemoIII

War Hero
At my last unit the association seemed to be 24/7 keyboard warriors with nothing better to do than comment on dress regulations, Putties and the SLR on the unit Facebook page.

Most of the serving lads would see the posts or actively engage against them. I dont personally know anyone who has actually joined them from my generation all seem to be 50+ writing dits about how they could do it better.

Meant to be there for the lads in the regiment but when they slag the current serving regiment off, the quicker they all get put into care and the internet access taken off then the better.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
  1. As above, what are they for and how are they staffed
  2. What about Regimental Association for units Regiments that no longer exist
  3. Where do they get their money from, are there any paid staff
  1. They provide news of what's happening in today's regiment. They provide aid to Old Comrades in need. (Light Dragoons have a Colonel's Fund — The Light Dragoons Charitable Trust). They ensure that when Comrades die, they can get an attended funeral.
  2. 15/19H and 13/18H, despite best efforts, were rolled into one, like it or lump it, as Light Dragoons Association. One Home Headquarters (Fenham, Barracks, Newcastle, ex-15/19H) and one museum (top floor of the Discovery Museum, Newcastle, despite best efforts until recently to keep the 13/18H museum open in Barnsley. This was more about economical viability than policy).
  3. Subs from serving soldiers, membership fees from Old Comrade members. I don't know whether the Regimental Secretary (a trooper with me, now a retired LE Major) and his assistant (retired LE Captain) is paid more than expenses. I imagine so. There are a lot of funerals and one or both always attends with appropriate cap and flag if requested. And a handful of civvy administrators who won't be doing it out of kindness.

Last edited:
The RGJ Association has several branches all of England....maybe about 50 - 80 active members per branch.

The Branch Secretary's work hard making sure we are kept informed/updated/Reminded of events via post and often through the various RGJ FB sites.

Very active with annual trips abroad, usually to visit the battlefields where our former Regts fought/won/lost/run away/won a gong or two.

Usually involves a weekend /long weekend, depending on where we are visiting and includes a battlefield tour with local guides and historians followed by an Association dinner on the Saturday , which is often a tie and blazer affair.

Summer and Xmas Lunches - Black tie Ladies Dinner Nights, etc...sort of along the activities of the Mess.

Usually led/overseen by a retired Officer or RSM.

Not bigging up the RGJ , but they are usually pretty informal as we were , and a lot of fun - costs are reasonable.

We also have a come as you are annual event called Greenstock - shorts and T Shirt weekend with live bands, BBQ and a small amount of beer..DURCH! Bring your own tent/camper van/spare liver.

Greenstock was brought about by our annual Winchester reunion being overtaken by the powers that be and becoming far too formal for us Cowboys plus the journey down south was a trot for a fair few, whereas Greenstock is as central England as we could find

Here's the London Branch Secretary getting a surprise at a Summer Veterans Dinner..... 10 minutes of fun

Go on my son ha ha.

Edit; Should have mentioned we also have a sort of parallel ,far more official association that produces the Annual Reggie Magazine and runs the Rifleman's aids society etc

Last edited:

ugly

LE
We formed a break away Bn association after we felt the regimental one let us down at amalgamation! Oddly enough the new regimental association accepted us and the other Bns followed suit!
Fast forward nearly 15 years and we raise our own funds and are still members of the new Regimental association by virtue of us all donating 1 days pay in the first week of training all those years ago!
Essentially the new Regimental association informs us of deaths, appointments etc from all of the founding regiments and the Bn one looks after us in a more personal way and sets up regional reunions and events and compliments the new Regimental association!

We formed a break away Bn association after we felt the regimental one let us down at amalgamation! Oddly enough the new regimental association accepted us and the other Bns followed suit!

Fast forward nearly 15 years and we raise our own funds and are still members of the new Regimental association by virtue of us all donating 1 days pay in the first week of training all those years ago!

Essentially the new Regimental association informs us of deaths, appointments etc from all of the founding regiments and the Bn one looks after us in a more personal way and sets up regional reunions and events and compliments the new Regimental association!

That's the way to do it Uggs.

Our 'formal' one pretty much does what your 'formal' one does.

The Associations Branches are run as a labour of love, thus are more appreciated .

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
That's the way to do it Uggs.

Our 'formal' one pretty much does what your 'formal' one does.

The Associations Branches are run as a labour of love, thus are more appreciated .
We have branches who organise an awful lot of social events. Kircudbricht and Liverpool are particularly active outside of the North East. But HHQ runs the nuts and bolts.

Being a cavalry regiment, there's a smaller pool and it works fine for us. I can see how your model also works just fine.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Military History and Militaria 24
N Army Reserve 3
N The Training Wing 0

Latest Threads