What is the problem with the deployment of 1 BW?

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by dogmonkey, Oct 21, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I posted the following on the current affairs thread, but am likely to get some 'interesting' replies there, so I thought I'd ask the brethren.

Before I start, I'm donning CBA and helmet but:

Whilst the extension of the tour sucks badly, and I have every sympathy for the blokes as well as the families, this being one of the biggest kicks in the stones the system can offer us, I have to ask, what's the problem with the deployment?

1. TACOM US? I believe we were considerably more than that last year, and no doubt will be in the future. It just does not appear an issue. We have our own ROE.

2. WTF is all of the bollcocks about it being much more dangerous than we're used to. Try telling that to the PWRR who have fired considerably more / received more inbound than the battlegroups who fought the war last year.

3. Which right minded infantryman wouldn't be entirely up for it?

Finally, let's use this as an opportunity to prove just how good we are at this sort of thing, and show the US how it is done.

Spade's out, and I'm digging.....

Surely this is what we do, and I might add, do better than anyone else on the planet. Let's do the job we've been set, and get the boys back home.

Stay safe lads, and good luck.

2. No one is disputing what we know we can do........... :D :wink: What as you have to be aware of surely is the deceitful way the whole thing has been handled :evil:

Naturally families are going to be hacked off.......so are perhaps a lot of the jocks, however as you say they may well be looking forward to it on a professional level.

I too am getting p*ssed off at the repeated 'relative calm claims..........if the area is so relatively calm why dont the news crews go and get some fecking new pictures of soldiers on the ground rather than using 'Library' film :evil: :evil:

3. Where is the deceit in the way this has been handled? As far as I can see, the normal procedures for handling a request of this nature have been followed.

The only criticism I can see is of the political weasels leaking it before the Chiefs sat, and gave Hoon the MILITARY advice. Bar that, it all appears above board.

The US areon their chinstraps as far as manning goes. We are in a position to help, so perhaps we should?

As ever, the media are playing this out for all it is worth, to what end I do not know, hyping up a militarily ignorant population I'm afraid.

4. i agree with dogmonkey... there's no deceit involved... it must be very annoying for the families involved but unfortunately the task in iraq demands it...

in addition i don't even think it was the politicians who leaked it... i thought some of the families got noticifation the BW might be staying on... this news spread to local MP's who asked questions - which is fair enough... the government said yes this is being considered and finally confirmed that it is actually happening...

5. Perhaps deceitful was the wrong word........... :oops: Might I venture inept? :wink:

6. I dont see any problem with it purely on a professional level.

Where it does get somewhat disagreeable is that fact that - arguably - it is all part of a Bush PR campaign for the election, scant days away now.
    He wants
    a) to show that the Brits are still well in support of him
    b) wants to free up troops for a big assault on Fallujah, which he can tout as a huge Bush/US victory over terrorism.

So the debate becomes - why the fcuk should our troops get screwed around just so the Shrub and co. get another 4 years to further destabilise the world.

And as for the 'peaceful' duties in the south - well that's media misrepresentation and I wish people would start calling them on it. Pointing out that there are a lot of rounds being fired both ways. It just seems quieter down there 'cause the British troops are more used to this sort of warfare and handle it better than the gung-ho colonials!

:x

7. The main problem is that no-one trusts the bunch of liars and cheats that pass for our elected representatives, particularly in such grave matters. It would be nice to believe that there is no truth to the idea that this is all about the presidential election and that this is really for the benefit of the Iraqi people but this is not borne out by experience!

8. inept? what was inept about the redeployment????

i'm not arguing that politician's are pure creatures who never use spin... but the fact is the iraqi elections are timetabled for jan... while it's possible to hold the elections but not allow voting in falluja etc this would not be an ideal solution... so we need a big push to make it possible to have polling stations in falluja etc...

9. I think you misunderstood Tricam.......Inept as in the way it was handled by Bliars Circus. Inept in reference to the re-deployment; as far as I understood it they are still in the South................perhaps you know better :?

10. i'm no particular fan of blair and his amazing flying circus but i don't see what they've done is deceitful... inept... wrong... in this case????

I don't think its a good idea for us to attack blair's every action because it reduces the effect of our attack when we have a genuine valid point...

11. I agree that, despite all the kerfuffle surrounding this deployment, we would all give our eye teeth to be part of it. May it ever be thus.

I am, nevertheless, intrigued by the causes of the kerfuffle.

May I suggest that there are lots of parties in all this, each of whom has a different agenda. We need to look beyond the obvious for some of the more esoteric answers.

The fly is cast…

12. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/3749006.stm

And rumours would have abounded............if your Army then you'll know what I mean..........

I do find it slightly bemusing that you don't see anything hurried and inept about:

The handling of the announcement.
    The timing of the announcement.
    The possible ramifications (politically) of just such an announcement.

13. No i'm not a soldier..... (yet anyway, I have the main board coming up soon so fingers crossed...)

and just to confirm... i don't see anything inept about the handling, timing or ramifications of the announcement... I'm genuinely interested to hear exactly why you think it was inept? - instead of just repeating you think it was inept...

14. ok then..whilst i compose a reasoned answer.why dont you state the case for what you consider (apparently) to be a well handled Government extension of the Military Task?

While I'm at it.............I don't necessarily disagree with the aim/purpose of the re-deployment. :D