What is the plural of Aide Memoire?

What is the plural of Aide Memoire?

• Total voters
I think since the word "aide" is a verb in this usage, the pluralization would be on "memoires."

I don't know if I can take grammar advice from someone who can't spell pluralisation but you make a good point. Could it not also be considered a noun in this instance?

T

trowel

I can`t understand why people are discussing the niceties of a dieing, superceeded language.

er don't mean to be rude but its defo: aides-mémoire according to my Oxford English Dic (tho it is about 15 years old now)
I think it also depends on the context in which it is used.

It's frog for memory-jogger. Two of them would be memory-joggers. One memory, two joggers, so aides-memoire.

As Rampant eluded, the "s" isn't sounded. In frog-speak, if "s" is the last letter of a word, it's not usually pronounced unless the word following begins with a vowel.

It would be easier to use the English equivalent - crib sheet, but then there'd be complaints that the blanket doesn't reach your knees.

In keeping with this literary thread, fixed it for you. ;-)
I can`t understand why people are discussing the niceties of a dieing, superceeded language.
It's frog for memory-jogger. Two of them would be memory-joggers. One memory, two joggers, so aides-memoire.

As Rampant eluded, the "s" isn't sounded. In frog-speak, if "s" is the last letter of a word, it's not usually pronounced unless the word following begins with a vowel.

It would be easier to use the English equivalent - crib sheet, but then there'd be complaints that the blanket doesn't reach your knees.
Cribs sheet or crib sheets?

As Rampant alluded, the "s" isn't sounded. In frog-speak, if "s" is the last letter of a word, it's not usually pronounced unless the word following begins with a vowel.

No "merci" for anyone on this thread--fixed it for you. ;-)

I think it also depends on the context in which it is used.
If it's used in the context "Give me an aide-memoire", then it's "Give me two aides-memoire". Where aides-memoire is a noun.

The other context would be in the form "J'aide memoire", "tu aides memoire", "il aide memoire" where aide(s) is a verb. But that wouldn't worry you unless you were French.

(France is down from UK/England/Britain if that helps)

French national flag:

(sometimes the red and blue portions are omitted)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
msr The Training Wing 1
Moodybitch The NAAFI Bar 16
Bad CO Lonely Hearts 71