What is the penalty for failure to display RFL (Tax disc)?

Bit of clarification required please.

What is the penalty for failure to display a current RFL?

It was a commercial vehicle. Tax disc expired at midnight on Bank Holiday monday, replacement disc sat on the Transport Manager's desk!!!

Is it £60/£80 and 3 points or just the fine?

Cheers,

P-T

Failure to display is just a fine, and a rediculous one at that, they know full well if a vehicle is taxed or not.

They tried to do me for displaying a tax disc upside down, and then did me forty quid for not chasing up a letter they had failed to send me when I sold a car, you can't win with the DVLA

tropper66 said:
They tried to do me for displaying a tax disc upside down, and then did me forty quid for not chasing up a letter they had failed to send me when I sold a car, you can't win with the DVLA
Just a question how did the DVLA know it was upside down?

Conrad_Cock said:
tropper66 said:
The bitch nextdoor Wrote to them, she does not like the fact that I own a rather nice camper van

tropper66 said:
Conrad_Cock said:
tropper66 said:
The bitch nextdoor Wrote to them, she does not like the fact that I own a rather nice camper van
Really, just went to the rules says clearly visible in the front left of the windshield/screen, upside down no worries.

Conrad_Cock said:
tropper66 said:
Conrad_Cock said:
tropper66 said:
Really, just went to the rules says clearly visible in the front left of the windshield/screen, upside down no worries.
They stated it must be correctly displayed, ie upright,in the letter I got

I can’t find any reference to this in the Magistrates’ court guidelines,

However, I would expect that if it came to court, that it would be a level 3 fine with a starting point of band A , and without any points.

This means in English, a maximum of £1,000 fine, however it would come with a starting point of 50% of your (the drivers’) weekly income, and of course without any points.

It would be the driver who commits the offence, as he should have checked that the tax disc was current - don't blame me, I don't make the rules. If it came to court I would attempt to argue that it was not an attempt to defraud, but only a clerical oversight. Without knowing any background or details, it would not surprise me if the mags would throw it out and start to ask some questions of the prosecutor.

absquatulation said:
I can’t find any reference to this in the Magistrates’ court guidelines,

However, I would expect that if it came to court, that it would be a level 3 fine with a starting point of band A , and without any points.

This means in English, a maximum of £1,000 fine, however it would come with a starting point of 50% of your (the drivers’) weekly income, and of course without any points.

It would be the driver who commits the offence, as he should have checked that the tax disc was current - don't blame me, I don't make the rules. If it came to court I would attempt to argue that it was not an attempt to defraud, but only a clerical oversight. Without knowing any background or details, it would not surprise me if the mags would throw it out and start to ask some questions of the prosecutor.
If you look up the "DVLA con" thread I posted a few weeks ago I posted the letters I had from the DVLA and they don't make sense, but my attempts to get in touch with their office in Bournmouth were a waste of money and time and on checking with others in the same situation on the web, I paid up as it was the cheapest option

I was under the impression that, under the new rules introduced last year, and providing the license had been purchased, a period of grace of 5 days was permitted. This allows the postal system to deliver tax discs that are ordered on-line.

Litotes

I know that your talking about a car/lorry but failure to display the tax disc on the correct side of a motorbike is a fineable offence too.

I keep my bike tax in my pocket because of disc theft of which I have had first hand experience, I just hope I don't get pinged.

Seems like a daft law anyway seeing as they can check instantly using tinternet if you have paid your road tax or not, just another way to squeeze more money out of the motorists.

jackarrse216 said:
I know that your talking about a car/lorry but failure to display the tax disc on the correct side of a motorbike is a fineable offence too.

I keep my bike tax in my pocket because of disc theft of which I have had first hand experience, I just hope I don't get pinged.

Seems like a daft law anyway seeing as they can check instantly using tinternet if you have paid your road tax or not, just another way to squeeze more money out of the motorists.
Most of these new rules/cons are only so Gorden can get some extra cash in to make up the vast amount he has P**** away, the law abiding motorist is easy pray

There are two seperate offences: Failing to display and tax disc and failing to have a valid tax disc. DVLA and the police have a policy (not actual legislation) of giving two weeks grace for situations like this to get sorted.

Thanks for the input everyone. The client did say they would pay the fine if I was pulled but obviously points would be a totally different matter.

P-T

martin7606 said:
There are two seperate offences: Failing to display and tax disc and failing to have a valid tax disc. DVLA and the police have a policy (not actual legislation) of giving two weeks grace for situations like this to get sorted.
You do not get 14 days grace anymore, due to being able to tax your vehicle either online by phone or over the counter......... ei if your vehicle is done by phone or online then it is tax from the date the last one ran out.. so they will know its in the post on its way to you ... therefore for not displaying the disc would be a fine for not displaying......... but therefore if you have not brought a tax disc then they now have the powers to either clamp your vehicle or take it under seizure until you have produced a valid tax disc and pay a release fee and storage

I never display my tax disc on my motorbike anymore as I have had 6 of the bloody things ripped out/unbolted/unscrewed from my bike over the years...always keep it in my wallet to produce if asked.

Yes, its against the law as such, but what the hell are you supposed to make it more secure on a bike with the little chav monkey-touchers running around and messing with kit unchallenged by the coppers.

Sec 29 (or 33) , Vehicle Excise and Registration Act: this piece of legilsation states that you may be open for a fine (min. £60 for the fixed penatly) but also for any back tax that has accrued since the disc ran out.

No Tax Disc

Used to be a grace period, however removed in one of the Finance Acts of the late 80's/early 90's.

Failure to Display

If a penalty has been issued you should enter into correspondence (and it may take one or two letters). Clearly state the reason for the failure to display i.e. was taxed but due to Bank Holiday etc it was sitting on a desk. Odds are, from personal experience, they will eventually do the decent thing (especially if one points out no record of avoiding tax etc) and drop the matter with a warning not to do it again etc.

Since 1st September 2008 you can legally drive or keep your vehicle on the road for up to five days from the end of the month without displaying a tax disc Provided you have made an application before the current disc expiires, by phone or online