What is the Official Army line on FB and Social networking

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by bibo_boy, Mar 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm having a "debate" on the subject of FB and what the Army says officially?

I heard the Army are ok as long as it contains no sensitive information i.e. events to happen in the future?

Quite a few other people say the Army says NO to any Army info on it?

Can someone put this to rest and point me to something in print?

2. there's a MATTS course on this, somewhere, more death by powerpoint until you get to the last slide.
  3. There has been instruction on this. I will see what I can dig out later.

Edited to say - I see others have found the DIN. Some good common sense advice too.
  4. 2008DIN 03-020 - Contact with the Media and Communicating in Public, p19, last bullet covers FB.

More specifically, DMC-PR-05-07-02 dated 5 August 2009 (here) says you can, although you might need permission. Does and don'ts list is at Annex B.

Be careful and remember there are even more idiots on FB than on arrse!
  5. Did a Media Ops course and we asked this very question of the attending Interweb guru.

Quoted the directive chapter and verse and then moved on.

During a break, he then passed his laptop over and said, "Give me a name on FB and I'll show you how easy it is to track them down."

Chose my own account, but didn't tell him that. Mainly used to keep in touch with lads in theatre and I was pretty confident that he'd not be able to do anything with it as I'm old school PerSec paranoid.

Next morning he had just about everything on me, including FoI access requests that had been made in my name without my knowledge!

He is a bit of a boffin and I'm no tinfoil hat - but it did confirm to me how relatively simple it is to take apparently anonymous information and extrapolate it.
  6. 1. No sensitive information (define sensitive as low as you can get - includes anything which shows TTPs. levels of training as well as op info - YouTube is full of idiot postings like that)
    2. If you are going to post personal details - e-mail, phone numbers, don't identify yourself as a soldier by posting piccies in uniform or out with the sect/pl
    3. The one that gets forgotten, but which will land you in the smelly stuff - nothing which reflects poorly on the service; apply basic Values and Standards and be discreet.
    4. Use FB security settings so that only people you know can see your info. Your friends list (and your friends' friends lists etc) can be used to draw up a network of you and your contacts which can compromise your role and activities, or can be used to target others in the list in the same way.
    5. If you do have a burning need to use FB, MySpace, Bebo etc think about having separate accounts for work contacts and social. FB allows you to group your Friends list to keep the two apart if necessary - use the facility.

Stick to those and you won't go far wrong. :soldier:
  7. Its a shame the TA don't get to sit in on the PERSEC briefs given to the Brigade areas because it covers the official policy but also how and where soldiers (reg & TA) are getting themselves into bother via social networking sites.

Its worth getting in touch with your local MI section to come in on an evening and knock up a quick presentation using information gathered from google/google images/192.com/123people.com/youtube.com.
  8. Simple rule of thumb, never put anything on the web that you wouldn't mind being put on a billboard. Forget all the crap social networking sites spout about privacy, you can't trust it.

As to something that connects you to the military, just don't. Ever. It's not paranoia if they are out to get you, we've had one plot all over the papers already about a soldier being stalked and you don't want to be the next. Just remember that - unlike NI - the TA is up to its neck in current ops. That means you are just as legitimate a target as the regs. And probably easier to get to, after all the local MI section has no idea you even exist, at least they keep an eye on areas where they know pads live.

There's a war on, it's your life, switch on and think.
  9. It would help if the CoC knew about PERSEC as they seem to be constantly trying to get me and others to have interviews in the local newspapers!

I've always politely declined but been under a lot of presure from the CoC.

I've sat in on a few of those breifings, it's always funny when they pic some random blokes facebook site who's sat in the briefing, not so funny if it's you mind.
  10. There does have to be some involvement with the press though official channels, to help with recruitment and publicity about current deployments. However, individuals need to be briefed on what is of intelligence value from what they say and what details they shouldn't give about themselves. The media ops and people don't always get it right. How many TA soldiers know about Cpl Byles and Abu Bakr Mansha? That case is 5 years old but some people are struggling to realise what the enemy's intentions and capabilities are.

If you want to get in on the PERSEC briefs, get your CoC to speak to the SO2 G2 to alert TA units of the briefs. They are during the weekday though so TAers might struggle.
  11. msr

msr LE

If the experts can't, then how can Gnr F**knuts?

That you have to cite a five year old incident shows how rare it is.

If it was that important, they would come in on a w/e or drill night.

12. Media ops are the experts at what they do but they're not G2. They'll present a story that will best put across the army but they don't have a security function so often it is down to the individual to retain their personal information from the public domain.

Well if you don't think that incident is important then I'm glad you're not my boss or in charge of my colleagues. Have a look at Op Gamble if you want something more recent. And if you think these cases were one offs and won't happen again, then you are completely wrong.

Yes, I can imagine that happening.

Out of interest, what advice do you give your guys about going to CSSRA countries and having contact with CSSRA individuals?
  13. msr

msr LE

I don't even know what CSSRA stands for.
  14. Countries to which Special Security Regulations Apply. It might be useful for you and your guys to know if they are going to a country which poses a severe or critical threat to security. The fact that you've never heard of it before is worrying. TA soldiers especially need to know about the countries and which procedures apply to them when going to these countries or having prolonged contact with CSSRA individuals.