• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

What is the most rude (West European) nation?

What is the durest people in the West Europe

• The Germans

Votes: 9 9.2%
  • The English

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • The Scots

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • The Welsh

Votes: 9 9.2%
  • The Irish

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • The French

Votes: 33 33.7%
  • The Sacninavians

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • The Spaniards

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • The Italians

• Other

• Total voters
BBC News - What Paddington tells us about German v British manners

Are Germans ruder than the British? Are Britons more dishonest than Germans? Fortunately, we don't have to rely on blind prejudice for answers. Serious academic research has been done on both sides of the North Sea.
Professor Juliane House, of the University of Hamburg, has studied groups of people interacting in controlled situations, watching with academic rigour how they behave as human guinea-pigs.

Certainly by no means all but a lot of English. A lot of what comes accross as rude by foreigners is simply a difference in culture and methods of doing things.

Who is rude and who not is hard to decide. I know that we're often seen as rude by the Germans, but the British seem to think we're pretty laid back. So who's right?

By the way: Your poll at the top says: 'Durest' people... stupid mong!

Who is rude and who not is hard to decide. I know that we're often seen as rude by the Germans, but the British seem to think we're pretty laid back. So who's right?

By the way: Your poll at the top says: 'Durest' people... stupid mong!
Haven't you know that the Russians are the most stupid and lazy people and one of the most rudest as well.

Oh those fingers. They sometimes press buttons in the wrong order. Maybe they should be cut out?

Clarkson once wrote a very good peice on England and being rude.

He pointed out that the reason we had the largest empire the world has ever known is precisely because we weren't wasting any time wishing everyone we met a 'nice day'.

I'm English, I don't know you so I really couldn't give a flying fuck if you have a nice day or not.

Some might say the French. Which puts Parisians in a class all of their own.
Norwegians can seem quite rude. Alot of what they say is based more upon, not what they say but how they say it.

SK

Some might say the French. Which puts Parisians in a class all of their own.
Norwegians can seem quite rude. Alot of what they say is based more upon, not what they say but how they say it.

SK
To be rude you actually have to say something. I noticed that most Nores didn't seem to say a lot and just stood there quietly.
Norwegian women tend to become VERY friendly when you offer them beer and cigarettes though!

The English are range from being the politest, to the most boorish and loutish people in Europe; it just depends who you are dealing with.

The French are quite polite - to the extent that they observe correct form when addressing one another.

To paraphrase Churchill; the Germans and Austrians are either at your feet or at your throat. Their level of politeness corresponds accordingly.

I know some very charming Russians, and have met several more who were just surly peasants.

For genuine politeness I'd have to recommend any decent British or Irish person. Or (although not European) the non redneck American southerner, many of whom take pride in old fashioned courtesy and good manners.

The rudest I've met were possibly the Cypriots, Greeks or Sicilians. Though I'm not sure if they're really European anyway.....

Cod head males dont buy the other sex beer, it costs to much. So when Brit boy goes over and buys said lady a drink she thinks he has money. Gold digging slags. :)

SK
That goes for Jan Kaas from Holland too! We have to watch out what we say though... some of those blond beauties understand a lot of Dutch after all those years of our Fish Finger Marine friends hanging out there over the winter!

Abner, I cannot agree with your comment that the Cypriots are rude. Greeks possibly but Cypriots are generally friendly and helpful.

I notice you qualify your statement that "any decent British or Irish person" gets your vote so to be honest, any "decent person" of whichever nationality gets mine. I've met some very rude Brits who should have been put down at birth and saved us all a load of hassle.

Latest Threads