What is the issue waterbottle made of?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by walt_of_the_walts, Oct 27, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Help me settle a sad and pointless argument.

but is it made of a phenolic resin? Hence the slight hint of eau de pine needle in every mouthful. I really need to know! 8O

Informed comments welcome. Ill informed piss taking comments expected too! :x
  2. Looks like LDPE to me. Of course, natural LDPE is a translucent white colour, so the plastic's been filled with something to make it opaque which could be responsible for the taste.

Edit: on closer examination, I'd like to change my verdict on the base polymer to HDPE. It's still filled with something and I still reckon any taste is down to that.
  3. I could be talking out my arse but;

Wouldn’t phenolic resin be too brittle.

Also it looks as if it has been blow moulded so therefore it would have to thermo plastic. HDPE would be the most likely candidate as it not shiny enough for ABS. The taste could be down to age and what has been put in there before -puritabs - sreech, as it is be hard to clean the inside of the water bottle properly.
    edit to add

havn't you got better things to be doing then asking about the material composition of a water bottle? (yes, know this works both ways.)
  4. Black.........

Or possibly nalgene...... take your pick!
  5. I seen British Issue Waterbottles made from Green Plastic once.
  6. 80 million layers of 'harry black' compressed with added dust to flavour the contents!
  7. Dunno, but whatever it is, it appears to be waterproof....

8. Not black.

9. Yeah, so have I, but I'm glad you mentioned it, as I thought I had just imagined it.
  10. Sorry,but can you tell me what LDPE/HDPE stands for?
  11. No Wah:

High Density Polyethylene

Low Density Polyethylene

BTW I wouldn't set too much store by anything Bashabasher says.
  12. It is made from ABS,

Acrylon - nitrile - butadiene - styrene
  13. Yeah, sorry for being less-than-clear.

LDPE = low-density polyethylene.
    HDPE = high-density polyethylene.

Broadly speaking, HDPE costs a bit more but is "better" than LDPE.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polythene has a fairly detailed write-up.
  14. what about dark.... can I say dark?
  15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

What about Eau de nil as in the colour of WP grenades as in off white or ethnic!