• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

What is the issue waterbottle made of?

Help me settle a sad and pointless argument.

but is it made of a phenolic resin? Hence the slight hint of eau de pine needle in every mouthful. I really need to know! 8O

Informed comments welcome. Ill informed piss taking comments expected too! :x

Looks like LDPE to me. Of course, natural LDPE is a translucent white colour, so the plastic's been filled with something to make it opaque which could be responsible for the taste.

Edit: on closer examination, I'd like to change my verdict on the base polymer to HDPE. It's still filled with something and I still reckon any taste is down to that.

I could be talking out my arse but;

Wouldn’t phenolic resin be too brittle.

Also it looks as if it has been blow moulded so therefore it would have to thermo plastic. HDPE would be the most likely candidate as it not shiny enough for ABS. The taste could be down to age and what has been put in there before -puritabs - sreech, as it is be hard to clean the inside of the water bottle properly.
edit to add

havn't you got better things to be doing then asking about the material composition of a water bottle? (yes, know this works both ways.)

blingbling said:
Looks like LDPE to me. Of course, natural LDPE is a translucent white colour, so the plastic's been filled with something to make it opaque which could be responsible for the taste.

Edit: on closer examination, I'd like to change my verdict on the base polymer to HDPE. It's still filled with something and I still reckon any taste is down to that.
Sorry,but can you tell me what LDPE/HDPE stands for?

walt_of_the_walts said:
BashaBasher said:
I seen British Issue Waterbottles made from Green Plastic once.
Yeah, so have I, but I'm glad you mentioned it, as I thought I had just imagined it.
I still have mine! Dated 1966 from memory, I got it from a bloke in boys service who I believe was issued it for Aden.

Oracle said:
The first one I was issued with was metal covered in webbing and a cork stopper.
Ah happy days!
Do you remember locker inspections where the cork stopper was taken apart to see if it had gone rusty?

Todays lads don't know they'v been born with plastic bottles, or should that be Acrylon-nitrile-butadiene-styrene? :roll:

Latest Threads