What is the definition of a corbeam?

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Outstanding, Mar 8, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Any ideas?

2. Flyingrockdj

Flyingrockdj War Hero Moderator

corbeen- Iraish regiment/ rangers hat

3. I thought it was 'caubeen'

4. I take it that is an innocent mistype and not a p1ss take

5. I looked it up:-

A soft felt hat normally worn by Irish peasants!!? Is that The rangers then?

6. The Caubeen is the headress of the Royal Irish Regiment. The caubeen was adopted as the headgear when the new Regiment was formed in 1992 as all the former regiments that make up the new one had worn it. Its name loosely translated from Gaelic means 'Shapeless Hat'. The Q.R.H, formerly the Queens Royal Irish Hussars stilll wear it for ceremonial I believe.

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

It used to look like green pt shorts with an upside down christmas tree (bonsai size) behind a Guiness logo. Poor lad only one in shornecliffe apart from Staff and he didnt finish! The staff was the sigs cpl and looked rakish in his! Big Ginger fellah!

8. Its one of these, :D
    <----------------------thats my sad attempt at pointing at my avatar :oops:
    as was stated elsewhere in the topic it's a shapeless hat\cap 8)

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

When the rangers provided troops in Omagh they wore Rifle green berets and blended in. I cant remember if they rebadged or were blending in as UDR for the stint but I'm sure they were reg RIR rangers! 1988!

10. Shapeless hat? Isn't that a definition of a non airborne/ non cdo RLC driver?

11. [/quote]When the rangers provided troops in Omagh they wore Rifle green berets and blended in. I cant remember if they rebadged or were blending in as UDR for the stint but I'm sure they were reg RIR rangers! 1988![/quote]

Dunno m8, I saw some pics of the Rangers on the ground in '88 and the ones I saw where wearing caubeens, the rangers from 1 Bn. wear the green beret as working dress, or so I'm led to believe 8O we Terry's have only ever worn the Caubeen. :p

12. And you should be wearing green berets as i understand it !! F_A_B

Your Caubeens should now only be used when wearing No1's or 2's. dont know the reasons behind this.

13. That is incorrect buges. The TA are still called the Royal Irish Rangers, and are therefore fully entitled to wear the caubeen.

The HS batallions of RIR only wear the caubeen on ceremonial. The GS batallions started wearing it again recently,
    as a result of an initiative by Col Collins.

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Thought on that, are the RIR a rifle regt? they certainly have a lot in common going back to RUR. SD in the rangers had a very similar style to a Rifle regt.