What is the criteria for the LS&GC bar?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Delhispearman, May 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Doe anyone know the full criteria for issue of a LS&GC bar?

Is it 30yrs unblemished service?
    Is it only for soldiers or soldiers who then become LE Officers?
  2. I believe its as simple as 15 years of reckonable service from the date of attestation or age 17½, whichever is later, plus another 15 years.
  3. From the MOD site:

Details in QRs paras 5.393 - 5.396 and 10.008 - 10.0011.

So yes and yes (given that you'd be too old to do DE after 22 years soldier service.)
  4. Why is the age set to 17.5 ? In my case that's 17 months of service that doesn't count.
  5. So if you commission before 22 years then the clasp is not attainable??
  6. Indeed.
  7. now that has made me chuckle.................
  8. I attended, not too long ago, a medal presentation which included the VRSM for an FTRS ex-reg LE Major which started - Major * joined the Royal Corps of Signals in 195x ... Cue collapse of entire assembled company, presenting officer (and a senior WO1) included, who all worked out (bar one elderly gent) that they had been born after his attestation. He's out now ...
  9. The old age for adult service? "Girl's time" you'll have heard the booties call it?
  10. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I always thought it was 18 and anything before this was "for the Queen"

Hence I joined at 17 years 5 months and 7 days old
    Singed on at 18 down in Admin
    Left the day before my 27th Birthday with 9 done
  11. 30 years undetected crime from 17.5 for the Clasp to your LS&GC Medal.

Service from 18 was to qualify for pensionable service under AFPS75. Hence you could join the juniors at 16 or 17 but wouldn't qualify for a 22 year pension until you were 40!

Having got my Clasp a few years ago it was distinctly underwhelming, a crappy piece of stay bright metal to stick on your LS&GC.
  12. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Bugger, so no point staying in to get a clasp then.